RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RX repair? Or buy another.

Old 04-06-2004, 05:51 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RX repair? Or buy another.

I have 2 Fu-taba FM RXs that have bad antennas. One of them had fuel spilled on it, is 6 years old, and has been in a couple of <ahem> "hard landings". It's a Futaba 7 channel FM. Is it worth repairing or should I just get another? It only does a 50 foot range check but I think that's because the antenna is bad.

The other one is newer and hasn't been in a major "hard landing" but it has a bad antenna and only does a 50 foot range check also.
Old 04-06-2004, 06:05 PM
E*nealio
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RX repair? Or buy another.

Its worth going to PCM if you have some nice models, no unkown glitches, the pcm will hold the plane at the same settings and if you have a fail safe it will kick throttle down to let you know, if you have a glitch you probly wont know, your plane will fly in the same direction you pointed it before the glitch, my opinion, get new recievers and make sure they arent ppm but pcm(pulse code modulation) + they are the upper end of recievers and are built with higher quality, not built to be cheap though!!!Good luck!
Old 04-06-2004, 06:48 PM
RS2K
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use PCM on my 120+ sized planes, but I'm fine with PPM with my 40-60 sized planes. I'm not worried about loosing my little ones but I do worry about my big ones.
Old 04-07-2004, 09:25 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think you've answered your own question. Replace the antennas on both receivers and do a range test. If they still fail, send them in for repair.
Old 04-07-2004, 10:32 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RS2K, I have sent many receivers in for repair for everything from broken antennas to cracked cases, to just had a bad crash. It is WAY cheaper than buying new and I have never had a problem with a repaired receiver. I have gotten in the habit of sending any receiver that has been in an actual crash back to Futaba for checkout/repair. They nearly always replace the ceramic filters. No way of knowing if they really need it. but it's cheap insurance and piece of mind. I have had mysterious crashes in the past with old receivers that may have been in crashes before. I have never had a problem with a receiver I sent in for repair. The repair costs are generally in the $15 to $30 range and you get an as good as new product back. Considering that you are talking about an investment of several hundred dollars, it's cheap insurance.
Old 04-07-2004, 11:29 AM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

*wrong subject* thought Tx not Rx
Old 04-08-2004, 02:32 PM
DGrant
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I sent off 2 Rx's. It's $15 to trouble-shoot. Plus parts...which are usually cheap... If the Rx is not repairable, or cost prohibitive(over $40 I think), then they give you an option of trading it in for a new one...for that same $40(Not including crystal, they return your other one. All said and done, I ended up with 2 Rx's(one brand new, one repaired for $84 shipped. Not a bad deal at all, and I was able to trade the one up for the new one, and get a high-band(that I really needed) from the low-band I sent in(that wasn't repairable). Good operation there....just drop them in the mail and forget about it for a week or 2, and you'll hear from them.
Old 04-10-2004, 08:58 AM
sillyness
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Horizon sent me a new RX and repaired another for $20 the other day!