Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

voided my warranty?

Old 04-07-2004, 10:05 PM
dershark3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default voided my warranty?

possibly a dumb question here but here goes.........

Would putting a protective shrink wrap on servo wires void the warranty?
My LHS told me this.
I could hardly believe it.
What do you think?
Old 04-08-2004, 05:41 AM
will

Default RE: voided my warranty?

If you have to unsolder the wires, from the servo, to install the heat shrink, I'd say your warranty is gone. If you slide the heat shrink over the connector, don't see a problem at all.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:47 AM
dershark3

Default RE: voided my warranty?

I didn't cut or unsolder any wires.
I carefully removed the connectors from the plastic plug case by bending up the retention tabs.
This way I could slide some small shrink wrap over the wires to protect them from becoming worn or cut.
Also a slightly larger size of shrink wrap near the plug so as to act as a strain relief at the plug.
At the same time I can inspect the crimp connection for quality.
After the wrap is installed the connectors snap back into place on the plug and the wrap is then shrunk down.
Since this is all intended to protect the wires from damage, it is hard to understand how this can void the warranty.
The insulation on these wires seemed rather thin and suceptable to abrasion, so as a long term protection I did this.
I guess I should have removed any such protection if I wanted my warranty to still be intact.
I'm surprised since this is not really a modification, just added protection from damage.
If you wax your car - That won't void the warranty on the paint. In fact they are happy you are taking good care of it
Seems like anthing and everything might get pointed to as a means to getting out of honouring the warranty - even protection for the product!

Oh well, I'm learning.