Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Antenna concerns for Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Richard39
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna concerns for Transmitter

I broke the last 8 inchs off my Airtronics Transmitter today... Airtronics VG6DR, Vanguard.... Will that cause me radio problems if I use this radio until I can purchase a new antenna? I see a lot of questions and answers on the Receiver Antenna length but not on the Transmitter Antenna Length.. I have three different transmitters made by Airtronics and each has a different antenna and length.. different connection also...

A fellow pilot today suggested that I use a copper wire soldered at the break ( to connect the two broken ends) so that I could safely fly this weekend... Would that repair job work or would it be ok to leave the antenna 8 inchs short? I know some of us (me) carelessly extended our antennas and sometimes leave it short (not fully extended) Is this the same as breaking off 8 inches as it would concern proper radio use and transmission?
Old 04-08-2004, 07:02 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Default RE: Antenna concerns for Transmitter

Why are you even asking this question? go purchase another antenna and be done with it! I wouldn't listen to those rocket scientists who are telling you to use a copper wire in place of the missing antenna.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:05 PM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Sorry, I misread the "fellow pilot " recommendation, which isn't such a bad idea, BUT play it safe and go with a new antenna.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Richard39

Frank... thanks... I stated..... Until I could purchase another antenna... I will have to order one and it will take time... I would like to fly using that transmitter this weekend... No one should used patched up equipment as a routine...Airtronics replacement parts are not readly available in Alabama.... Futaba is king... ANY suggestions on me finding an antenna tomorrow at Radio Shack, etc... or does the antenna have to be a specific length for my radio?
Old 04-09-2004, 04:18 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you broke the solid end section you can simply replace it with an identical length of wire....nothing mysterious about the workings of the antenna, it's simply a conductor of a certain length. for years i've been using a solid whip of the same length as the original collapsible antenna. i think it's better because it never breaks and it will never loose continuity like a sectioned antenna will when it starts wearing out.

dave
Old 04-09-2004, 06:54 PM
Richard39

To All.... I soldered a one inch copper connector between the broken antenna pieces...Good tight fit...Everything works fine and did go flying today with that antenna... Now I will order a new antenna and wait a couple of weeks for it to appear... thanks.. Richard