Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

fm Vs. PCM

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2002, 11:08 AM
arjunchopra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fm Vs. PCM

WAHT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A PCM & FM RADIO .

THE PCM RADIO IS MORE EXPENSIVE THAN THE PCM RADIO , BUT IS IT WORTH THE MONEY THE PCM , OR SHOUDL ONE BUY THE FM RADIO AS A SECOND RADIO .

I AM CURRENTLY USING A SKYSPORT FM 4 CHANNEL FUTABA RADIO .

REQUIRE ADVISE .

THANKS

ARJUN
Old 06-22-2002, 12:42 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default fm Vs. PCM

PCM is FM. I think you want to ask "What is the difference between PCM and PWM (also called PPM)". First, most current PCM and PWM systems are FM although they could be AM. In PCM, the position of each servo is determined by a series of bits, usually 7 or 10 bits per channel. The PWM servo position is determined by the width of each individual servo pulse. The PCM is more complex and more costly to implement hence the higher cost. For most applications though, you will get by just fine with the PWM systems at considerably lower costs. Unless you are into the area where the utmost in precision is desired, PWM is adequate.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:54 PM
HELIHEAD-RCU

Default fm or pcm

I posted this same question in april and got 5 pages of answers and a whole lot of help. (BTW Thanks to all who helped) If you will go to page 12 or so and look for the HELIHEAD post on 4-26-2002 you can read all afternoon on this subject. Good Luck.
Old 06-22-2002, 12:57 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default fm Vs. PCM

Basically the difference between PCM and PPM (FM) are the same as the difference between digital and analog. If you take a 1.5ms pulse train and change the top or bottom width (faster or slower pulse) you have PPM. If you digitize the signal along with a check sum and then transmit it, you have PCM. That is why noise doesn't effect the controls of PCM. What noise will do is completely lock you out of your aircraft but all in all, I like PCM for most gas applications.
Old 06-22-2002, 03:33 PM
brc007
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default fm Vs. PCM

See
http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...813&forumid=27]