RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba FP-T4NL

Old 04-11-2004, 10:00 PM
jruss79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba FP-T4NL

I recently came upon a Futaba Conquest FP-T4NL Transmitter and Futaba FP-R4F Receiver. In the reading I have done, I am quite sure these are no longer legal or safe to use. What is strange is that these two components came on Channel 80 (75.790 MHz). Isnt this a surface model channel? These are cleary Airplane radios as they are marked with THRO, RUDD, AILE, and ELEV. Were airplanes ever allowed on 75 MHz? Can these be made legal?

Since these are now for surface models, can I use this radio for surface models legally?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 04-12-2004, 11:15 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba FP-T4NL

Many times, an airplane radio was adapted to surface use for scale model cars and boats. Usually, only a crystal change and complete retuning was needed.

The Futaba 4NL transmitter would not be legal to use under current FCC regulations unless it had been converted by Futaba sometime in the past. It doesn't make any different whether the transmitter is on 72 or 75 MHz. The FCC requires the same standards to both bands.
Old 04-12-2004, 09:37 PM
jruss79

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can these now be retuned and made legal on the 72 MHz Band? If not, what do you do with old radios?
Old 04-13-2004, 10:40 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We're sorry, but we're not able to update old wide-band systems. The old Futaba serivce center had stopped updating in the mid-90's or so.

For a 4NL transmitter, you'd have to update the transmitter, replace the receiver with a modern, narrow-band unit, and then change all the connectors on your servos to the new versions. Likely the transmitter and receiver battery packs will need to be replaced, too, due to age. Total cost of the upgrade would be very close to, if not over, the purchase price of a modern, equivalent system.