Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

10X vs 9Z

Old 03-07-2004, 09:51 PM
jlbpropilot
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10X vs 9Z

Ok I need some input on this subject. I bought a 10X unknowing that i couldnt fly a heli with it. I do fly both airplanes and helis and right now use my 10X in the airplanes, and an 8103 in my heli. Im seriously considering buying a 9Z so i can carry 1 transmitter with me to the field. Anyone think this is a bad idea? Is the 9z as good of radio as the 10X? Thanks
Old 03-07-2004, 10:47 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: 10X vs 9Z

While I have never owned a 10x, I do have a 9zap (any channel any time). There is no one that can dispute the 9z is more flexable. You are able to assign any switch, slider, stick to any other location or function. It did take me a long time to figure everything out, in fact I still don't know all the endless ins and outs of this unit. Now before anybody starts ragging on me, BOTH are superb units! Either will accomplish what you need to do, BUT the 9z will do it for heli, sail, aero with a little more flexablilty. This is an opinion take it for what its worth. By the way they are both excellently crafted.
P.S. I really don't have a bias. I look at transmitters as a tool, both are equally high quality! Its' just that one can do three jobs in ONE unit.
Old 03-07-2004, 11:59 PM
tadawson

If you are looking to make a change, since JR --> Futaba will require all new receivers anyway, consider the Multiplex Royal Evo. More channels than either the 10X or 9Z, more memories (36 in the 12 channel, IIRC) and cheaper than a 9Z or 10X, and will pretty much do it all. Also, shift selectable so if you are flying PPM gear, it will talk to ANY receiver that you may have. If you are flying PCM, then you will need to replace all the PCM receivers for any brand change . . . Personally, I am a 10X flyer, and would not be willing to make the change - the 10X programming is just so much nicer with the touch screen, but then again, I have a heli 10X, and have not yet run into anything in my planks that I can't handle with it. Just another data point to consider . . .

- Tim
Old 03-08-2004, 01:23 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

9Z and 10X memories are unlimited due to the futaba CAMPac and JR DataSafe.

Hands down 9Z. Then I'm a Futaba guy
Old 03-09-2004, 06:05 PM
jlbpropilot
My Feedback: (13)

Thank you all for your input. I think i will try to make the swap to Futaba simply because i want to use 1 transmitter for everything. It seems all the programming capabilities are identical. The multiplex is a great suggestion unfortunately i am a big supporter of the local hobby shop thing and they wont be able to sell me one of those. Anyone want to trade a 10x for a 9z?
Old 03-09-2004, 11:44 PM
tadawson

What makes you think your local shop won't sell Multiplex? Much to my great pleasure, I was in my local shop last week, and lo and behold! A Royal Evo 9 and 12, with full synth graced the counter, next to Futaba, JR, HiTec and Airtronics . . . since HiTec is distributing Multiplex in the US, if your shop sells HiTec, they sell Multiplex too - they just may not have realized it yet!

- Tim
Old 03-10-2004, 07:08 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

The supply of EVO's is increasing exponentially and you CAN order one through your local hobby shop.
As a lifetime Futaba user, I won't fault anybody for brand loyalty, but I got my EVO12/synth about a month ago and my loyalty has definitely changed after just a couple of programming sessions and then flying with it.
So what I'm saying is if you have your heart set on a Futaba, go for it. But you're cheating yourself if you don't at least read the entire Multiplex EVO thread over at rc groups.com.
Also, the current issue of R/C Report magazine has a full 17 page review of the EVO12. If you don't decide on getting an EVO after reading that, then Futaba will be the only way for you to go.

By the way, wanting to get rid of juggling multiple radios was my reason as well for looking at the high-end radios. I was even ready to spend the nearly $1000 for a 9Z since money isn't the issue at that point. Think about it, I had spent nearly $2500 for all the radios I had over a short period of time, so spending "only" $1000 was cheap if I only needed the one radio and it would fly everything I had.
Well, just before I bought the 9Z, I stumbled across the EVO12 and I was blown away by it's capabilities. I won't list them all here, but I can tell you that this one radio with it's 36 (named!) model memories, 6 hr. battery, and 12 channels will fly ANYTHING I have and will have in the future.
As a reformed (unintentional) radio junkie, I can't describe enough how good it feels to be down to just one radio that flies everything I have on all of the different aircraft's frequencies (EVO12 with Synth). I mean, the "feeling" of Freedom is hard to describe.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: jlbpropilot

Thank you all for your input. I think i will try to make the swap to Futaba simply because i want to use 1 transmitter for everything. It seems all the programming capabilities are identical. The multiplex is a great suggestion unfortunately i am a big supporter of the local hobby shop thing and they wont be able to sell me one of those. Anyone want to trade a 10x for a 9z?
Old 03-10-2004, 11:11 AM
ml3456

Highflight,

Did you have to change any receivers, or does the EVO work with everything?
Thanks, Mark
Old 03-10-2004, 11:49 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I was using all FM receivers anyway so the EVO will fly them all. No radio will fly ANY PCM receivers unless it's the SAME BRAND as the transmitter so you would want to sell any PCM receivers you might have.

At this very moment in time, however, the EVO works with only receivers that are positive shift (JR, Airtronics, MPX) and not negative shift receivers (Futaba, Hitec). HOWEVER, there is a software revision that should be available in the next couple of weeks that you will be able to download for free and update your own EVO that WILL include the ability to select the RX shift in the software. That will mean that you will be able to fly any FM/PPM receiver of any brand.

You can also download an interim version of the software that allows shift select (right now) if you need to, but I'm waiting for the newest version coming (that will be ver 1.27) which will likely have some clever additions to the programming as well as the shift select.
So for the moment, I'm flying just three of my planes that have pos shift RX's, and the other 4 planes I have with Futaba receivers will get into the air as soon as the new software is posted for download.

Highflight
Old 03-10-2004, 03:05 PM
sfaust
My Feedback: (11)

Here are my thoughts after spending a season with both the 9Z and 10X simultaneously.

[link=http://www.giantscalerc.com/misc-10x-radio-system.htm]JR10x and 9Z comparison on GiantScaleRC.com[/link]
Old 03-10-2004, 04:27 PM
radray

I flew Futaba for about 15 years, switched to the Multiplex 4000 and have never looked back. Sold my Futaba after a few months of side by side comparisons. I have now had the 4000 for almost 4 years and it is still going great, never any problems. The flexibility and power of the programming is beyond compare by the JR or Futaba radios.
Old 04-12-2004, 02:07 AM
bknight
My Feedback: (1)

Can some one tell me how to bypass diode to discahrge my 9z battery or what i need i have a triton charger

please email me [email protected]

I will appreciate any help
Old 04-12-2004, 08:56 AM
citation X
My Feedback: (6)

Anyone know who has the best price on a 10X Tx only? Thanks, Ricky