Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

20 year old radios

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2004, 10:42 AM
studiobrent

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 20 year old radios

I used to fly R/C in the '80s and am looking at getting back into the hobby. I had a couple of Futabas, a 4FG and a 6FG. I still have the radios and servos. Looking at radios now, I see there are a few more manufacturers and some nice new features. I am mostly interested in Sailplanes and electric flight but as my son is only 6, I may end up with a larger gas model someday. I'm intersted in the Futaba 7C and have read reviews on JR's XF 421 EX. Admittedly, the lower price of the JR system caught my attention, especially since it is computerized and has the cool new features, like servo mixing and memory, etc. My question now is, would you recommend spending the extra for the Futaba 7C? I don't foresee me ever competing and the local club is only about a dozen members. And, can my old servos still be used? I had some micro servos that I used in my Olympic II, and I am hoping to avoid new installation. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:58 AM
impactiq
My Feedback: (57)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 20 year old radios

I to have a few of the old FG series radios. IF they are FM and gold stickered...send them in and have them updated to narrow band(if they already are not) and go have fun. IF you are not going to use them shoot me a e-mail. Mark
Old 04-12-2004, 08:41 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

You will be able to use your servos. You might have to change the connectors. If you stick to Futaba you might be able to use your receivers without modification. A JR transmitter will not work with your receivers. Check with Futaba about what it will be necessary to do to your transmitters. They might be OK as is.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:14 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

If the receivers are from the 80's they are more than likely not narrow banded and will not be usable. The Futaba 7c and the JR 6102 are well woth the extra money. If you try and update your old equipment you will have a lot of money invested and still have old radios. Even the batteries are probably shot. The new radios can do so much more. And are much more reliable.
Old 04-13-2004, 09:40 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: rhd-RCU

If the receivers are from the 80's they are more than likely not narrow banded and will not be usable. The Futaba 7c and the JR 6102 are well woth the extra money. If you try and update your old equipment you will have a lot of money invested and still have old radios. Even the batteries are probably shot. The new radios can do so much more. And are much more reliable.
The receivers are still usable even it they are not narrow banded. It depends on where you want to use them. If you are in a crowded area probably not. I have flown in Phoenix, San Francisco, and Seattle and found very few times when they could not be used. You would not want to take them to a contest. But with flying gliders most likely they would be no problem. Just make sure that the two channels next to yours are not being use. They are not illegal.