Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Products from Futaba

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 03:28 PM
sirrom
My Feedback: (4)

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default New Products from Futaba

OK, I really wish someone from this company would give the consumer a straight answer. I fly jets and really could use more than 9 channels. I don't want to make the switch to JR for the 10X but right now it seems like the only choice besides multiplex and I don't like the Royal EVO or the big 12 channel pizza box.

So here is my question. Is futaba ever going to replace the 9Z with a radio with more channels? If so can someone just let the damn cat out the bag. I need more channels and am getting fed up with the lack of interest from futaba to support this request from their customers.

Patrick.
Old 04-29-2004, 06:30 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New Products from Futaba

Unless you want to wait several months to several years for a new futaba product to come out. The multiplex is your only choice. Im not real wild about the look of the Evo.......but if it feels good......and does everything you want it to do.......whats the difference. I dont pick a radio on looks.......plus I dont think it looks that bad.
Futaba is going to do what it wants to do........when it wants to do it......its obvious they are not listening to your customer base.......people have been asking for 12 channels for years.
They have been asking for more flexible programming. Futaba hasnt delivered on that one either.

Maybe you should start giving your money to the people who are delivering the goods......like Multiplex.
Old 04-29-2004, 11:28 PM
Capgains

I don't spend much time looking at my radio. I'm looking at.... the plane. I agree with you, I don't like the"pizza box" either, just not a big fan of the tray style of flying. I think that's why they created the EVO style box.

One thing I have never been clear on; Is the 9Z a true 9 channel? The 9C is only 8 unless you are using the PCM RX, and then I thought I read that it is an on or off channel only.

Regardless, is the synthesizer for the 9c out yet? I'll bet it comes out soon to compete with this EVO 9/12 that comes with it built in.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:45 AM
sirrom

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

CAPGAINS,
The 9th channel on the 9Z is just an on off channel. I usually try not to use it but if I do I use it for speed brake or some other feature that I don't need to mix or add failsafe too.
Old 04-30-2004, 07:53 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sirrom,

The new radio exists in prototype form. It is coming. When, is anyone's guess.

I, too, am annoyed with this secret-squirrel crap. I switched back to Futaba two years ago because JR's "flagship" radio did not meet my needs, and the 10SX II I was using was out of production, with the attendant problems of that situation. The way Horizon handled the 8411 servo debacle was a factor, too; but that's another story.

Anyway, I fell in love with my new 9Z, and never passed up an opportunity to sing its praises and steer people toward Futaba. I'm not a rep, just a satisfied customer who was glad to offer a bit of free advertising.

Last year, an insider pal told me about the new Futaba 12 channel. Not long after, I saw a post here by a fellow, like you, who needed more channels than the 9Z offered and was looking at the 10X. I mentioned the new radio, saying that he might want to hold off for a while. I answered a few other posts, too, offering the little info I had.

Next thing I know, an old friend (also an insider) called, asking me to stop talking about the new radio. The reason? The Empire management was annoyed; they wanted to keep it a secret.

Well, now. Do they really think people don't know about it??? And while I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of marketing, I damn sure know modelers; and those who are brand-loyal are usually willing to wait for something new. So why all the secrecy? Are they afraid that 9Z sales will decline? Do they want to wait until it is in stock before announcing it? They for sure don't have a problem with announcing a new ARF plank six months before the first shipment even hits the dock.

Whatever. All this certainly changed my attitude. Not only did a good friend have the embarassing task of asking me to shut up, but I had to listen to it. But, hey; I got the message. lt will be a cold day in hell before I say ANYTHING to any other prospective buyers or newbies looking for advice/information on Futaba products. They want to play games, fine with me.

Whether they know it or not (and I'm reasonably certain they don't care either way), they have turned an ardent supporter into someone with a very neutral attitude.

Good luck in your quest.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:09 AM
Capgains

I could have swore about 2 1/2 years ago, the rumors that a 12 ch from Futaba were circulated, and everyone though it was going to happen because the 9z went from $899 to $829 for the stripped down version.

9z is kind of a funny animal, like it's precursor, the 9V. It has it's own frequency modules (TK instead of TP) throttle and elevator trims are on opposite gimbles. It uses the same Campac, but models from 8/9c are not transferable.

So if you started off with Futaba radios and work your way up to getting a 9z, you basically have to re-outfit yourself with new gear to "accessorize" (there's one for my wife) And you have to re enter all of your stored models from your lesser Futaba radios. I think the 9Z also has it's own special proprietory battery pack that is unlike all the others in the line.

It also seemed logical that they would bring out a 12 ch soon... Why would you bring out a less expensive more compatible, easier to program 9 channel (9C) and then offer a harder to program 9z only slightly more capable radio that needs different stufff for $600 more as your top of the line?

Seems kinda dumb to me.
Old 04-30-2004, 10:55 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Trust me, its no rumor. The hardware exists and is being tested.

What I simply don't understand is the corporate attitude. This is hobby stuff, not nuclear secrets, for Pete's sake! FWIW, The Empire doesn't have a monopoly on this idiotic mind-set.

One wonders how many customers Horizon has lost over their refusal to even admit the existence of the 9X radio; months after Asian and European modelers were flying it? I know of two guys who bought 9Cs because of this; they were equally disgusted with this hide-the-weenie attitude. Keeping a new product quiet is one thing; insulting people's intelligence is quite another.

What's wrong with acknowledging the product, with the caveat that development is underway, we'd rather not say any more right now, but please stand by? Most folks would accept that, and wait or not as their situation dictated.

Whatever. I have my stuff, and am happy with it. But if/when my 9Z needs to be replaced, I'll think long and hard before deciding what to replace it with...

Old 04-30-2004, 05:36 PM
MiragePilot
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am/was in the same boat at the author of the first post in this discussion thread, i.e faithful Futaba rc jet pilot looking for a 12 channel radio with failsafe capability.

I stumbled across the Royal EVO threads a few months ago and started doing a lot of reading and investigation of the RE 12. It rapidly became very clear that the RE-12 (Synth) was the way to go. It was compatible with ALL my existing Futaba radio gear, provided 12 channels with failsafe functionality, and programming flexibility that the Asian radios dream about....AND COST HALF THAT OF THE FUTABA 9ZAP (Synth).
I placed an order for the RE 12-Syn transmitter and a separate order for the RE 12 (synth) receiver (a few hundred $ cheaper than buying them together) with Tower about 3-4 weeks ago. I received my new Royal EVO 12 channel (synthesized) transmitter in the mail yesterday, and the Receiver should be arriving any day now.

I have been a faithful Futaba customer/operator for 20yrs, but I gave up waiting for them to release a 12 channel radio.

Regards,

Peter