Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

newbie: What is the Gyro and how it works?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 06:47 AM
C 130

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default newbie: What is the Gyro and how it works?

hi guys,
well am a bit embareced asking this question, i know it is basic but i stilll reall dont grap the Gyro's idea, its function and how it works.........?
so if someone pleases to explain it to me and give me an overview of it that would be great........
thanx for all of you guys,
and enjoy yourself
Old 04-15-2004, 07:52 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: newbie: What is the Gyro and how it works?

A gyro is a little gadget that maintains a sense of attitude in one of the axis. Each gyro can only monitor ONE axis such as either aileron (level attitude) or rudder (left/right/straight ahead).

The gyro is plugged in BETWEEN the receiver and whatever axis servo you choose and the gyro is adjustable for GAIN which is simply how sensitive it is.

In use, here's a simple example: Say you have a gyro on the rudder and you're taking off. On many airplanes, you have to give a little right rudder to compensate for prop precession (a counter-acting gyro force all by itself but let's not confuse things here).
The gyro you have set up on the rudder will automatically (if adjusted correctly) compensate and will keep the aircraft on a straight climb-out so YOU don't have to.

Another example would be if you had a gyro on the ailerons. If you were to be flying in windy conditions where your wings would dip a little side to side, the gyro would compensate and keep the aircraft flying level.

Of course in both examples, the primary control of the channel that the gyro is attached to is used to overide the gyro so that you fly the airplane as usual. The gyro does NOT fly the aircraft FOR you, it simply smooths out a lot of the unintended gyrations (get it ) that the aircraft sometimes does.

Helicopter flyers normally consider gyros important. Airplane flyers don't for the most part.
Generally speaking, for airplane flyers, you might use a gyro to smooth out your flights but ONLY if you are already an experienced pilot. You do NOT want to use a gyro if you are a "marginal" pilot because a gyro would very much hinder your learning how to fly well in the first place.

Personally, I don't use them. I'd rather be a really good pilot on my own than to "look" like a really good pilot by "cheating".

Highflight
Old 04-15-2004, 08:51 AM
C 130

well that was more than enogh Mr. Highflight-RCU..............you just gave me the right thing i was looking for. HOWEVER, i have just one little small question left. this means that a Gyro will work only on one axis, is there any Dual Axis Gyro???? another question is : are Gyros classified according to the number of servos they serve ???? i mean like i have a Gyro that control 1 servo and another that controls 2 servos for example........
thanx alot )))))))))))))))))))
Old 04-15-2004, 11:39 AM
smokingcrater

this means that a Gyro will work only on one axis, is there any Dual Axis Gyro????
yes, althought that is a pretty rare beast. gyro's aren't really used in planes much, so the vast majority go to heli use, where they are for rudder.

gyro's are generally classified by heading hold/non heading hold, which is an entirely different topic. (search around in the heli areas for more info...)