RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

what determins "full range"

Old 05-14-2003, 11:46 AM
hangerrash

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what determins "full range"

Forgive me if this has been covered. I tried running a search for this subject but Im not doing something right.
Anyway, when a receiver is listed as having "full range" what exactly does that mean? Let me put it this way,
unless otherwise stated ( 900 ft range) can we assume that all these "full range" micro receivers are good for line of site. FMA has the M5 which is sold as a full range receiver and it say's something to the effect of a 1/2 mile or more, I forget, while other micro receivers specify a distance. Im going to refit a glider this summer and want the smallest full range receiver I can get without breaking the bank. Any suggestions?
Old 05-14-2003, 12:26 PM
b17flyer
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what determins

I have the Jr micro rx and early on they came with "short" anteena wires.Replacing or adding so that the wire wasa standard 39" was suppose to make them normal rx. I had one in a gental lady up to about 1200' alt to where the wing was really only visable. Still had control.No problems. Have also flown them in standard 40-60 size plane with no problems. Th Jr micro was only 2-3 dollars more than there "standard" rx. Now I see the Hitec 555 is used in larger than park flyers and would say it "normal" use. But if I had any doubts I'd call there service center and ask them to clarify befor risking a plane.
Old 05-14-2003, 01:47 PM
FHHuber
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default what determins

"Full Range" RX's are those that are not limited due to thier reception capablity. The theoretical maximum range of these is about 7 miles. (under PERFECT conditions... practical max is 1 to 3 miles, depending on local nterferance sources.)

Most micro RX's have a severely limited range... anywhere from 500 to 1500 feet. This is still far enough for most flying, especially for small aircraft. You'd be suprized to find out how close you really keep your airplane. At 1000 ft a .40 size trainer is getting hard to see which way its pointed.