Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

To Evo or Not To Evo?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 07:51 PM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To Evo or Not To Evo?

Right now I am flying a 6DA 6 channel. I just sent back my new 7C, it was a nice system for the money……but it had a bug involving the timer. Futaba is saying it’s a typo in the manual but it’s a real bug. I can duplicate at will on the 7C.
The 7C is really just a stripped down 9C….at a good price. Futaba sports it as an intermediate system…..and that is very accurate.

Now for the Evo radios……..I’ve read many posts……and reviews and I read the 9 Channel manual too.
The programming software is way ahead of anything from Japan. I think you will see JR, Futaba, Airtronics Hitec and everyone else going to similar programming eventually. My guess is they are working on it right now. And if the Evo systems really take off……..they will be frantically working on it.
They aren’t going to change the current programming until people stop buying there systems.

I firmly believe that Futaba and JR have been taking there loyal customer base for granted for sometime now. If you look at there radio systems they give you what they think you need and want, when they want too. Then along comes the Evo systems who give the customer what he wants…….and has been asking for since the first computer system came out years ago.
The problem with the German systems is they are expensive. I’ve decided the 9C would probably handle all my needs for sometime….but when you look at the programming of the Evo systems you ask yourself why do all of the Asian systems lack this level of programming.
Another problem I have with the German systems is the charging…..its not clear if you can readily fast charge them. Also……many people replace there batteries every 2 or 3 years just to be safe. There are no third party batteries for these radios, nor have I seen a price on one from Multiplex. My guess is your going to have to shell out 65 or 70 dollars for one of these jewels.
I cant really justify spending more for a EVO Transmitter than I would pay for a complete Futaba 9C system. On the other hand if we keep buying the Asian systems they are not going to improve the programming. If Futaba can keep selling 9C’s as they are it means more money in there pockets and less to spend on R and D.

I think if Multiplex offered a 9 channel system complete with servos etc for a similar price as the 9C system, many people would take the plunge over.
Even though the Evo programming is much more intuitive and advanced…..its still too much radio for my needs to justify spending 650.00 for a transmitter and receiver.
I might wait another year and see what happens……..the price for the Evo’s might come down.
I learned when I bought the 7C that in the Radio Control market it is best to sit back and wait……till your sure.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:33 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: To Evo or Not To Evo?

We've been using the EVO 12 Synth TX for a while now and are very happy with it.
You can fast charge the battery. BUT you don't need too... The EVO's have a pretty sophisticated battery management system on-board, lots of information is available.

Here is the "BIGGY" the TX runs up to nine hours on a charge...

If you want a spare TX battery their available for $38.00 from Hitec/Multiplex USA. Duralite is now offering a replacement. Here is another BIG change the battery is 7.2V six cell 1500 NiMh... Replacement batteries will be available from others I suspect very soon, there’s no special cell requirements standard cell sizes are in play. You do need the pigtail and fuse adapter for custom packs, BUT there available separately as well.

Tower offers the EVO 9 SYNTH TX for $416.00....
Old 04-16-2004, 03:12 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: zero244
I firmly believe that Futaba and JR have been taking there loyal customer base for granted for sometime now. If you look at there radio systems they give you what they think you need and want, when they want too. Then along comes the Evo systems who give the customer what he wants…….and has been asking for since the first computer system came out years ago.
Multiplex has been giving the customer the software that you have been asking for, for decades, it is not new in the Evo, it's just more of the same as far as Mpx is concerned. In fact the much older 4000 and 3030 are even more flexible than the Evo and have 99 memories. Rotary programming selectors have been on Multiplex for over a decade now, Futaba/JR has only just woken up to it. America is just taking more notice of the Evo because it is in a Japanese style silvery case that Americans like. For us, an Evo 9 is the same price as a Futaba 9C, so there is no contest there, and an Evo 12 or Profi 4000 (12 channel) are nearly half of the price of the 9Z, you are fortunate in the USA that Futaba is heavily discounted there. When we look at what we get from a Multiplex transmitter, compared to what we get in a Futaba/JR, it becomes very clear that Futaba/JR rely on market inertia and customers' fear of buying something different, and they actually provide a much poorer product in terms of the software and features.

H
Old 04-16-2004, 08:36 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

As a recent owner of a Profi 4000 coming from a Futaba 8u all I can say is Multiplex is the last and only transmitter I will need period. Glad I did it just for the flexibility. I may never use most of the programing ability but its all ways there. You will like what is possible and battery and charging is not a problem. I bought a 3300mah Nimh battery pack from Ernie Pritchard in Arizona shipped for $55.

Carl
Old 04-16-2004, 08:55 AM
MustangFan

I have the 9C radio and so far have been happy with it.

But ....

I want a synth TX and Receiver without spending the bucks for a 9Z which I do not need.
I am not sure if Futaba will have a synth. system available for the 9C anytime soon ( Tx and Rx).

Since the Multiplex will use any servos ... I do not need a complete system .... Just Tx and receivers.

I will be changing over to the Multiplex in the next year or so. I really do believe it is ahead of the others ... and may stay ahead.
One of the big reasons is the feel of the Tx in my hands. In my opinion, much better than the Jap. radios. ( tried it at Toledo ).

I'm a little like you ... want to wait and see how they do ... plus my 9C is only 2 years old and I have 4 planes set up with it.

Happy Flying !
Old 04-16-2004, 01:58 PM
tadawson

Anyone know if there are plans to offer the Evo on 50MHz in the US? That is pretty much the only reason that I can't/won't immediately go buy an Evo-12.

- Tim
Old 04-16-2004, 02:39 PM
Phil Cole

Tim,

I don't think it would be all that difficult to convert a mulitplex crystal module to 50 MHz. Synthesizers are not a big benefit on 50 MHz. I have found that having just one alternate channel will generally get me a clear channel at most fly-ins.

The problem is the receivers. For 12-channel operation you need Multiplex receivers. If eight channels is sufficient, you can use the FMA receivers, or Berg when they get to doing 50 MHz again.

Unfortunately, I have about ten PCM receivers, so it will cost me quite a bit to change over.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:56 PM
Ed_Moorman

I just got an Evo 12, someone tell me what to do!

That's what the newbies say, isn't it. Seriously, Gordon Banks, R/C Report editor decided he didn't have the time to do justice to a long term Evo review so it now resides at Ed's house in the Florida panhandle.

Tim, my second question was can I get a module/ RF board on 6 meters. I have umpteen JR & FMA receivers on 50 MHz and it would be nice to use them. Anybody remember what channel 72.310 is? I haven't flown on 72 in so long, I don't know which is low, high or what. For ham you subtract 80 and divide by 2 to get the channel. 50.98 is 98-80 is 18 /2=channel 09.

First thoughts. Feels good in my hands. I changed it to mode 3, left handed style and the elevator stick (what used to be throttle) is gummy feeling. Any suggestions? I have played with the screws, but maybe I need to work on it some more.

I plugged some servos in and everything works in JR order.

The battery plug on the switch is a monster! I guess regular switches will work OK?

Looks like every switch is programmable. As long as I can mix spoilerons, I'm OK.

I'm going to fly it in my Big Stick 40, engine test plane first just to get a feel for it.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:48 PM
Phil Cole

Ed,

You could try just try putting a 50 MHz crystal in, and then tacking caps across the coils until you can peak them. The Q of the tuned circuits won't be optimal, but you can probably get it going. At worst, you may have to rewind a coil or two. Once you're this far, setting the modulation could be done be statically setting the high and low frequencies with a frequency counter.

You may have to change the multiplication ratios in there. For instance, when converting 70 MHz two-way radios to 6 M, the usual thing was to convert one of the frequency triplers to a doubler.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:57 PM
zero244

Default Ive decided to give the Evo a Try

Im going to wait a month or two...to make the buy. But Im going where the action is.....and the Evo is where its at. These radios have so much flexibility that you really cant go wrong with them.
Plus Ive onwed about 5 or 6 Futaba radios........and I think its time to pass the baton to a company like Multiplex who has really produced a superior product.

Its time to drop brand loyalty and give credit and dollars where its due.

I think it will be years before the Japs decide its time to give the users what they want.
Buying a Multiplex is a loud voice.........they will eventually hear.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:37 PM
zero244

Default Ok I did it

Im on back order for an Evo..........as soon as tower gets them in Im going for it.

I think we are starting an EVO-lution here.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:39 PM
2 Piece
My Feedback: (8)

zero244,

ORIGINAL: zero244

Even though the Evo programming is much more intuitive and advanced…..its still too much radio for my needs to justify spending 650.00 for a transmitter and receiver.
Tower is selling the 9 ch synth transmitter and synth reciever for $551.98
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEXV7
and
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXEXW4

2 Piece
Old 04-23-2004, 09:45 AM
petec
My Feedback: (58)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I own an Eclipse7 and have owned various Futabas...my father-in-law is a JR man and also has a 9Zap. I've played with all the radios and am now waiting for my Evo9 to show up on my doorstep.

I went to Toledo this year expecting to come home with another Eclipse and ALMOST bought a Tracker II. I am very glad I did some research on the radios out there before I plunked down my hard earned cash.

I never gave the Multiplex systems a thought because you don't see a media blitz for them like you do with other companies. I read everything I could and talked with Highflight-RCU (Thanks for the guidance Vern) and placed my order.

I'm a computer and electronics guy by trade and the capabilities of the EVO blows the other radios away IMHO......I can flash the software myself...no sending it in. I can backup my model memories to my laptop (which is ALWAYS with me) which in essence gives me unlimited memories. It has sophisticated battery management. I don't have to pull the RF section to change the frequency. You can angle the gimbals to what proves most ergonomic to you.

I sound like a commercial and don't have the radio yet, BUT isn't that the way you make purchasing decisions for a new radio or model? I have never found a hobby dealer who said !QUOT!take it home and fly it...see if you like it!QUOT!.

IF the big companies ever catch on to what Multiplex is doing we will all benefit.

My $.02....I'll get off the soapbox now.
Old 04-23-2004, 11:02 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

I have been waiting for a Synth Evo for a year now.
Maybe a good radio but judging from some posts its not quite there yet.
WHAT can possibly take a year????>???
At least I can buy a Asian radio!!
Old 04-23-2004, 11:27 AM
KevinSheen

Andy,

who the heck did you order it from?

I got mine from Tower in March when I read the internet - $$ / Euro price increase scare. Tower still had it at the old price. I ordered on a Thursday or Friday, had it the following week. Granted, it was out of stock in about 3 days but I didn't even pre-order.

You need to cancel your pre-order and order from someone reputable.

Kevin
Old 04-23-2004, 01:00 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Tower same as you ?
I wanted the synth version and everyone Ive called says backorder ....each time a month longer.
In fact Tower shows end of April I suspect it will show end of May soon!!
Old 04-23-2004, 01:49 PM
Villious
My Feedback: (17)

I just backordered a EVO 12 from tower for $519. I noticed everyone else has them for $649. Why the drastic difference in price? Why does tower sell them for that much cheaper (if they actually get them in stock).
Old 04-24-2004, 10:14 PM
FormerMember

Has there been a fix for only being able to have one expo setting acroos all flight modes in the EVO? This is a big drawback for me.

Thanks
Craig
Old 04-26-2004, 08:42 PM
i-lexx

Hi there!

Craig: I've posted an reply about that issue in another forum: As I heard from Mr. Schneider (MPX, Niefern) last Friday,
they will soon release Ver. 1.3 of the EVO-OS. In 1.3 Expo and D/R should be set for each flight-phase.
1.3 will be an major update. One of the tech-guys told me about some other features, esp. for 6-flapped wings.

Greetings from Stuttgart,

Jens
Old 04-26-2004, 10:17 PM
woodscra
My Feedback: (23)

Thank you for your time Jens, that is very helpful.