Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics Servo's

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 10:46 PM
Kimhoff
My Feedback: (22)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airtronics Servo's

I have some Airtronics servo's (Part No 94631) that I want to use with a Futaba system. Can I change the connectors and use this? If so where can I find a wiring diagram? Also I want to reverse one of these. Can I re-wire these internally to acheive this? If so were can I find a wiring diagram?
Old 04-12-2004, 10:55 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Airtronics Servo's

Two very different questions. First, it these servos are wired for the older Airtronics, all you have to do is interchange the positive and negative leads at the connector. You should be able to (with the aid of a small pin) pull out the two wires, interchange them and plug them back in. You might have to physically sand the plastic ridges off the side of the connector to allow it to go into the Futaba connector. Second, to reverse the rotational direction of the servo, you need to reverse two different pairs of wire inside the servo. Interchange the two wires going to the outer connectors on the potentiometer (leave the center connector as is) and reverse the two leads going to the motor.
Old 04-12-2004, 11:16 AM
RJConnet

The 94631's were not one of Airtronics best efforts, just my experience......RJ
Old 04-13-2004, 12:07 AM
bojangle

If you don't feel comfortable rewiring the servo (change polarity), you can get an adapter to change the older Air servos to the new "Z" connector. (part number AIR4400) The Z will then work with a Futaba receiver. You can plug it in the wrong way, no harm done, just won't work. Plug it in the other way and it will work.

If, as I do, you have several older Air receivers, you can also get an adapter to use the new Z servos with the old Air. (part number AIR4439)

The industry standard (according to Model Aviation-Bob Eberle), is the center wire is always negative. This will confuse some old timers, like me, who have always designated the red wire as positive, black wire as negative (standard DC wiring practice). But in servos the black is positive, red negative, other color is signal. Airtronics now uses blue for signal wire, JR uses yellow, Futaba and Hitec use white. Don't know why companies can't standardize this stuff. I have been told that if you plug a JR servo the wrong way into a Futaba RX, you will burn out the servo (or ESC).

Frankly, I don't know why you would want to reverse direction, as most radios made within last 15 years have servo reversing at the transmitter.

I called support at Airtronics, was informed that the only change they made was the servo connector to reverse polarity. If you get the new "Z" flight pack, it will work with the older Vanguard Transmitter. You can also use a Futaba servo with the new Z receiver, but you have to trim off the polarity tab. You can't use the Air flight pack with a Futaba transmitter because Futaba uses FM deviation low side, and Air uses deviation high side. Isn't this wonderful? HAHA

A lot more info than you asked for, but it is may be of interest to you.

BO
Old 04-13-2004, 09:16 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BoJangle, your info may be missleading. All servos (with the exception of the older Airtronics) have always had the center pin positive and most often covered with RED insulation and the negative leads is universally covered with BLACK insulation.
Old 04-13-2004, 12:41 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

i agree with rodney .red is positive. please just buy the 6 inch adapter and be done with it.
Old 04-13-2004, 01:19 PM
bojangle

"Open mouth, insert foot"

I stand corrected. I was sleepily quoting Bob Aberle (even spelled his name wrong), in his Model Avation, Feb 2004 article. My apologies [] Since I know that Bob never makes mistakes, might have been a misprint.

The main thing is that Air servos are now compatible with Futaba . Makes me happy since I like my new 6yg and I can once again use Air servos.

Moral of story, never quote tech stuff with one (or both) eyes closed.
Thanks Rodney
BO
Old 04-17-2004, 12:15 AM
scottfl78

Hey guys... the nearest HS is an hour away... My GF was down there so I sent her to the HS to get me some Hitec servos for my new plane... he gave me 1 with a futaba connector with the tab on it (I use airtronics)... the wires seem the same so you are saying i can X-acto the tab off and it will be fine?? 45.00 servo so ill only trim it if it will be fine...

Scott
Old 04-19-2004, 07:26 PM
bojangle

If you have the new Airtronics Z receiver, then the Futaba should work (minus the tab). I have never done this, so don't take my word for it. I don't like having to modify servo plugs, I wish the industry would standardize their stuff, but they never will.

My rationale is this. If an Air Z will work with a Futaba RX, then the Futaba should work with the Air Z ......heck Tower's servos have a "universal" plug that fits everything.

BO
Old 04-19-2004, 08:03 PM
scottfl78

Thanx man.. I already got the answer, trimmed the tab and it is in my plane and working fine... Thanks guys