RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can I replace my receiver wire???

Old 04-19-2004, 09:22 PM
Darlingdon76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can I replace my receiver wire???

Hi,

I broke off my Airtronics receiver wire, down to about an inch and a half long. Can I replace this wire? What kind of wire do I need?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Don
Old 04-19-2004, 10:05 PM
pemiller

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Can I replace my receiver wire???

Don,

Are you handy with a soldering iron?
I've replaced several JR RCVR antenna wires, however it requires good skills soldering on a circuit board.
You can also splice and solder the two pieces of wire together; it doesn't have to be pretty since its in the cabin.
Just make sure you have a good electrical and physical connection between the two wire pieces.
Good Luck!

Paul
Old 04-19-2004, 10:28 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's just common wire-
24 awg stranded (as opposed to solid) with pvc (I think) insulation. The teflon insluation is another type of plastic insulation you may find in your search for wire, but it can be a challenge to strip and is stiffer. It's called 'hook up wire' often at electronics supply.

The danger with this sort of thing, is if you don't have experience soldering, you can mess up the circuit board by overheating the trace causing the printed copper to lift from the fiberglass and possibly break off..

If you have at least some experience with how to tin a soldering iron and get solder to melt at will, then you should be fine. With a well-tinned clean hot iron, remove the old wire, making sure you remember which solder pad it came from. Flow a little solder on the spot where the old wire was, then flow some solder onto the stripped end of the new wire. Only strip a couple of mm, being careful not to break any of the individual wire strands. Once you have some freshly melted solder on the stripped end of the wire, and the pad you want to solder it to also has some freshly applied solder, then you can hold the wire end against the pad and apply the iron to the pad/wire end without having to add any more solder. The fresh solder you put on the wire end and the fresh solder on the pad will melt together nicely once you touch the iron to the wire/pad junction, and you don't need a third hand to hold the solder spool, since you already applied solder to the two items beforehand.
You really should practice this on something expendable if you have never done this type of work before..
The iron shouldnt need to be in contact for more than about three seconds for this..

Be sure to re-use or replace the sheath if there was one over the part of the receiver antenna wire that may be routed under the printed circuit, so the sharp lead ends poking through the board don't jab into the insulation of the antenna.

It the above is too scary, you can splice wire onto the existing nub you have still on the rx by stripping about 1/4 inch from both wires and pre-tinning each separately, then melt them together simililar to how i described above for the pre tinned pad/wire junction. A little heat shrink, good to go..
clint
Old 04-21-2004, 07:46 PM
Darlingdon76

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Big Thanks,

As usual, a great mass and wealth of info, in very short time.

Thanks guys, you're the best!!!!

Regards,

Don