Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Bogey Transmitter

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:24 PM
nibog

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bogey Transmitter

Hello everyone, long time listener, first time caller... need some help.

My transmitter is a JR X347 which has been a fairly capable (if a bit old) piece of equipment until lately.
First the battery life is signifigantly reduced and won't charge above 8 volts and soon after won't take a charge at all.
No Problem - got a new 2000mah battery.... radio still won't turn on even though there is power in battery.
Ok, so now i changed the lithium battery inside(never again). It still won't work.
Remove the Module at rear and find the fuse... it's blown. Replaced the fuse. Transmitter still Won't turn on.

What's the story now. Can it be fixed. Any ideas on something i may have overlooked.

Or should i just get up, dig deep, and buy a new one?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:22 PM
1Eye
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Bogey Transmitter

Any ideas on something i may have overlooked.
Consider "factory" repair? I know you're in Ireland but the folks over here at Horizon Hobby are the best when it comes to repair turnaround at a reasonable price. I guess you'd have to do the math on shipping charges/duty ... ?

Mike
Old 04-28-2004, 04:54 PM
Mac_Man_UK

nibog,

Give MacGregors a call in the UK. +44 (0)1753 549111. They will be able to give you an approximate costing and turnround time. It could be something simple like a processor reset is required. Is the Lithium link still in place or is that open ?

If its simple enough, the turnround time would only be a day.

[8D]
Old 04-29-2004, 02:30 PM
mclintock
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just had a similar ordeal with my xf622..

I had to replace the lithium and re-tension the clips that held the fuse in place, as the fuse was not held tight enough to make sure contact.

Also my main battery had a damaged lead end, where it socketed into the connector in the radio, the contact on the female part at the battery wire end was not making contact with the pin. A re-bend with the pocket knife and that was fixed.

The thing still would not come on after all that, and after verifying voltage was getting to the main boards.

To re-set the poor confused processor, remove the main battery and (ideally the lithum cell would not be in place for this, but in my case it was and it worked fine) using a small sheet of aluminum (aluminium in UK?) foil, short all the pins on the main board (by 'main board' I mean the one with the processor and the lithium cell). This pulls all to earth and also shorts out the lithum cell for a few seconds, but it can deal with it, those things don't put out much current anyway.

In the case of my 622, i only shorted the leads of the main processor all together by pressing the foil over it and running my fingernail over the foil along the sides where the leads come out of the black plastic body of the IC.

I used to work as a factory authorised repair tech for sony, pioneer, alpine, etc... and sometimes this was the only way to reset some of the many things that got confused after the lithium cell was replaced..

Stick the main battery back and see if it comes up. You may need to try more than once...

Be mindful of static electricity when fooling around with modern printed circuitry, as a small spark will fully ruin a cmos chip.

You mentioning the blown main fuse does scare me though.. hopefully that was due to your main battery being shot, but there may be a regulator or capacitor dead in there somewhere..
Old 05-27-2004, 06:24 AM
nibog

Thanks for the input everyone. I went and part ex'd it for a Hitec Tx + Rx. The main battery was compatibile and no lithium to worry about. All set up now and flying good. Thanks again.