RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Easiest To Program 9C or Evo 9 ?

Old 04-26-2004, 12:06 AM
zero244
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Easiest To Program 9C or Evo 9 ?

I am familiar with some of the 9C programming, overall its quite easy to program. Ive been reading the Evo 9 manual this week......they use a different terminology on some things........the manual is not very precise in some areas. I realize its a more advanced programming.....I dont have an Evo in my hands so its hard to tell if programming it would be a hassle.
The Futaba 9C would probably cover all my needs.......since I rarely use over 5 servos.......and do basic programming like flaps ailerons etc.
Its not the extra money for the Evo...........I'm just concerned setting up my planes is going to be a lot more complicated than using a 9C.

I fly full house gliders.........and electric gliders. I doubt I will ever in the near future be flying 1\3 scale gas. Ive never had more than 3 planes at one time.
I don't really need to change channels since all my receiver's are on the same channel.

So the Basic mix capabilities of a 9C would probably be all I need.
I like the advanced customizing possibilities of the Evo.....and would like to give it a try.......I just don't want to get bogged down in excessive complicated programming where I have to take the manual with me to the field.

Tower Hobbies has a good deal on the 9C right now........they said late April for the Evo.........according to my calendar its getting very close to late April.

Safe Flying
Old 04-26-2004, 02:44 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Easiest To Program 9C or Evo 9 ?

Multiplex radios are easy to program but they use a very different type of programming to the one type used by all the Asian brands. It's not the terminology that is different, the whole underlying structure of programming is different. 99% of us who have gone over to Multiplex after decades of using Futaba or JR think the Mpx system is far better. The only "problem" is that you have to unlearn your bad Futaba/JR programming habits and learn a different system. Multiplex is diferent, not difficult.

Harry
Old 04-26-2004, 04:21 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I own a 9C and I find that the programming is "intuitive". No complaints so far......
Old 04-26-2004, 06:14 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've used Futaba's all my life up to now (though not the 9C) and I can tell you that the programming of the EVO is not just easier than any of my Futaba's, but programming MORE COMPLEX mixes and features on the EVO is EASIER than BASIC programming on my Futaba's.

There IS a learning bump that it seems all EVO owners go through (including me) that usually only takes a couple of days of thinking things through to overcome. That's because the whole philosophy of programming the EVO is simply different (emphasis on "simply").

So even though easier, you have to learn the difference of how the EVO is programmed, but when you get over the little learning bump, you'll be amazed at not only how easy programming is, but how you'll no longer be afraid to actually USE a lot of complex features of the EVO that you may have been afraid to mess with on your Futaba.

Highflight
Old 04-26-2004, 02:24 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I recently got a Multiplex Profi. I had used Hitec and Futaba before. I think the programming structure of Multiplex is very logical - not hard at all. As for flexibility -- the Asian radios are in big trouble! I don't know the Evo series but I think I have the last radio I will ever need.

Carl
Old 04-26-2004, 02:52 PM
ZAGNUT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

someone once told me that futaba and JR use an idiotic, convoluted programming systems...i thought he was exaggerating until very recently when i tried to help a friend figure out his new 9C and ended up wanting to hang myself. now i'm very glad that i chose a different radio system (american) that is not only infinitely more flexible but is super easy to program. after flipping through the menu a couple of times i don't need the manual at all.

i say go with the EVO. i've never used one but i highly doubt it could harder to learn than the 9C

dave
Old 04-26-2004, 04:43 PM
PlaneKrazee
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think that the learning curve to programming the Evo is a bit much. It would be nice to be able to use the radio out of the box.

Maybe Multiplex could make standard templates and allow end users to select the widgets they want to use, like the AR's do. I really want to fly, not write programs. It would be nice to have mixes in the basic radio program and or make them available on line and allow me to assign the "widgets" and channels I want to use.

I am looking for standard aerobatic/scale templates for dual aileron, elevator and flap servos with included trims, landing mix, throttle curves, rudder to elevator/aileron mixes.

Make the end points, travel, subtrim for a given surface/channel easy to access in one screen so I can set up that surface in a few minutes after connecting the hardware linkages. Is this how the Evo programs?

I don't see the benefit of being able to put my throttle on channel 9 and then assigning channel 9 to the vertical axis of the left stick. But come to think of it I would like to try using the throttle on a slider with my left middle finger and leave the rudder on the left stick by itself but would still be fine leaving it on the standard "throttle" channel.

Can the Evo accept downloads from a pc.

Maybe to would be possible for people to share their custom programming templates in a forum similar to the Real Flight simulator airplane templates. What do you think?
Old 04-26-2004, 05:06 PM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Skypilot_one
I think that the learning curve to programming the Evo is a bit much
From your other comments it's clear you have not had your hands on an Evo, so how do you know what the Evo's learning curve is?

Maybe Multiplex could make standard templates and allow end users to select the widgets they want to use. It would be nice to have mixes in the basic radio program and allow me to assign the "widgets" and channels I want to use.
That is what it does.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:26 PM
Highflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The wish list you describe here is exactly how the EVO works.
You must be talking about some other radio that "doesn't" do all the things you'd like because my EVO12 sure does.

Highflight

I think that the learning curve to programming the Evo is a bit much. It would be nice to be able to use the radio out of the box.

Maybe Multiplex could make standard templates and allow end users to select the widgets they want to use, like the AR's do. I really want to fly, not write programs. It would be nice to have mixes in the basic radio program and or make them available on line and allow me to assign the "widgets" and channels I want to use.

I am looking for standard aerobatic/scale templates for dual aileron, elevator and flap servos with included trims, landing mix, throttle curves, rudder to elevator/aileron mixes.

Make the end points, travel, subtrim for a given surface/channel easy to access in one screen so I can set up that surface in a few minutes after connecting the hardware linkages. Is this how the Evo programs?

I don't see the benefit of being able to put my throttle on channel 9 and then assigning channel 9 to the vertical axis of the left stick. But come to think of it I would like to try using the throttle on a slider with my left middle finger and leave the rudder on the left stick by itself but would still be fine leaving it on the standard "throttle" channel.

Can the Evo accept downloads from a pc.

Maybe to would be possible for people to share their custom programming templates in a forum similar to the Real Flight simulator airplane templates. What do you think?
Old 04-26-2004, 08:14 PM
PlaneKrazee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Highflight,

I was reading the on line tutorial and it said you can't use the radio out of the box.

Your 12 channel radio came with all the templates I described?

Is there an Evo12 users forum for sharing?

Is there more than one expo setting or is it global as some have reported?

How is your Tracker II doing? Still all the radio you need?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 03:52 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Brian,

A Multiplex is ready to run out of the box like Excel spreadsheet is ready to run out of the box. There is a conflict between a system that is open for you to do whatever you want, and a system that is totally pre-programmed and setup. The latter gives you limited choices, it can only do what the original programmer wanted to do, it can't cope with new model developments because its pre-programs don't allow it, and you have to set up your model the way some programmer in Tokyo sets up his. The ultimate in ready to run out of the box is a non-computer radio because they require absolutely nothing to be done, but they have no power or flexibility. If you want a radio that can cope with every model made and which will be made in the future, with radio installations already plugged for many different brands' sequences, and can cope with all the new developments and fashions that we can't predict will come in over the next few years, you just can't switch it on and expect it to go. You have to tell it what sequencing you are using etc.

H
Old 04-27-2004, 06:29 AM
Highflight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The EVO is sort of like a desk PC; it comes with an operating system that doesn't really do anything all by itself, but it also comes with software that is partially pre-programmed but still allows the flexibility for you to "personalize" it to work the way that YOU want.
What you are calling templates are covered by the pre-defined mixers so you have all the flexibility you need as soon as you assign them to your ship. MPX give you "only" five pre-defined mixers that are set up for the most common uses, but they also give you 9 MORE empty mixer "definitions" (that aren't defined yet) so that YOU can put together any other goofy mix you might want. But those pre-defined five "out of the box" are all that I have needed so far. Also keep in mind that each mix can have up to five inputs so you can use any combination of those five inputs which means that each ONE mixer definition can actually function as SEVERAL mixers depending on which inputs you use or don't use.
You really need to pick up your EVO and start working with it (if you have one?) because you won't come to understand any of this unless you actually use it.

You'll get exactly as much OUT of the EVO as you put INTO it. When you say that you can't use the radio "out of the box", I assume you mean with reference to setting up the left stick with friction instead of self-centering? Wow, that was a tough one .
I wouldn't know anything else you could mean because after I adjusted the left stick the way that _I_ wanted it to be and took a walk through the various menus to see what did what and where, I found it takes about a minute to set up an aircraft for basic flight. Or were you hoping that a sophisticated computer radio would fly a model the second that you powered up?

It was just reported yesterday that one of the additions to what will be the ver1.30 upgrade is going to include independant Expo switching for each flight phase. Personally, I feel that Expo is a flying "style" that I want to have, or not have, on all four flight phases anyway (unlike Dual Rates which I DO want to, and do, switch on and off between phases). However, others seem to have their reasons for switching Expo on and off with flight phases so it looks like MPX is listening to their customers. What I want to know is; where's the cup holder I asked that they add as an accessory??? Evidently, they don't listen to ALL their customers... [sm=lol.gif]

You must not have been following my Tracker history very well. I got rid of that boat anchor within a month and immediately ordered a REAL programmable radio, an EVO12/synth that still manages to amaze me with how easy it is to program and how capable it is at the same time.
I did keep the Seeker receiver, though. It's been working fine with the EVO; it's one of the things that Polks did right.

Highflight,

I was reading the on line tutorial and it said you can't use the radio out of the box.

Your 12 channel radio came with all the templates I described?

Is there an Evo12 users forum for sharing?

Is there more than one expo setting or is it global as some have reported?

How is your Tracker II doing? Still all the radio you need?

Thanks
Old 04-27-2004, 07:35 AM
PlaneKrazee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry,

Thank you for the reply.

I would like to state that I think the concept of the Multiplex line is wonderful and I like the transmitter case layout.

I understand you have been running a Multiiplex Profi 4000 for some time now. Do you have programs you would share? How much different is the programming of that radio compared to the Evo?

In my original reply I stated "I am looking for standard aerobatic/scale templates for dual aileron, elevator and flap servos with included trims, landing mix, throttle curves, rudder to elevator/aileron mixes". A person would not have to use them but they would be available. The templates that come with the Evo seem to be lacking. If I use a Factory template am I bound to the switch allocations from the factory?

"Make the end points, travel, subtrim for a given surface/channel easy to access in one screen so I can set up that surface in a few minutes after connecting the hardware linkages." Is this how the Evo programs?"

I just read that a new version of software for the Evo and Profi 4000 just came out. If you upgrade to the new software all of your previous programming is trash!

Brian,

A Multiplex is ready to run out of the box like Excel spreadsheet is ready to run out of the box. There is a conflict between a system that is open for you to do whatever you want, and a system that is totally pre-programmed and setup. The latter gives you limited choices, it can only do what the original programmer wanted to do, it can't cope with new model developments because its pre-programs don't allow it, and you have to set up your model the way some programmer in Tokyo sets up his. The ultimate in ready to run out of the box is a non-computer radio because they require absolutely nothing to be done, but they have no power or flexibility. If you want a radio that can cope with every model made and which will be made in the future, with radio installations already plugged for many different brands' sequences, and can cope with all the new developments and fashions that we can't predict will come in over the next few years, you just can't switch it on and expect it to go. You have to tell it what sequencing you are using etc.

H
Old 04-27-2004, 08:26 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry,

I understand you have been running a Multiiplex Profi 4000 for some time now. Do you have programs you would share?
I regularly "share" programming advice on forums. The Profis allow model memories to be downloaded to PC, emailed to anyone and uploaded straight into your Tx, something I am perfectly willing to do. The only stipulation is that you need the same PC software, I use MPM rather than the original Mpx software.
How much different is the programming of that radio compared to the Evo?
Quite a bit. The 3030, 4000 and Evo all share the same underlying Multiplex philosophy yet they each have quite big differences in the details of how they implement that philosophy. The two biggest differences for the Evo are the shift to control side mixing rather than the servo side mixing of the Profis, and the use of relational database style global programming where you define lists of mixers, or lists of switch assignments, or lists of control assignments, and then each model memory refers to the list of your choice from each category rather than each model individually storing its own settings.

I am looking for standard aerobatic/scale templates for dual aileron, elevator and flap servos with included trims, landing mix, throttle curves, rudder to elevator/aileron mixes". If I use a Factory template am I bound to the switch allocations from the factory?
You can make your own mixers and switch assignment lists which then become available to every model, or alter the factory made ones - note that the factory programmed mixes and assignments are not set in stone, they can be deleted or modified by you as much as the empty ones. If you choose an ACRO template with POWER assignment, you can still alter which switch assignment list you use. There are 5 lists in the switch assignment category and you have full control over all 5. The first 3 are already programmed by the factory for POWER, HELI and GLIDER but you can alter them as much as you wish within the limit that altering a list alters it for all models that refer to that list.

Make the end points, travel, subtrim for a given surface/channel easy to access in one screen so I can set up that surface in a few minutes after connecting the hardware linkages.
That's not the way that Mpx works, but why do you need a few minutes to set up a surface, I can do it in a few seconds?!! Multiplex make a very clear distinction between control parameters, mixer parameters and servo parameters, that the Asian radios confuse and jumble up. There are 3 places that you can adjust a servo's travel - in controls menu, in mixer menu and in servo menu. So it is impossible to put all possible parameters in one screen, but they do group each set together in one screen, (one control screen, one mixer screen, one servo screen) which is an improvement on the Profis where you have to scroll through each individual parameter.

I just read that a new version of software for the Evo and Profi 4000 just came out. If you upgrade to the new software all of your previous programming is trash!
AFAIK there is no new version for the 4000 and there never will be. We are hearing of v1.3 for the Evo which incorporates some changes that customers are asking for, but one of which will mean that some backward compatability is lost and certain parameters will need to be re-programmed, which is not the same as trashing your previous programming!

Harry
Old 04-27-2004, 10:01 AM
PlaneKrazee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

AFAIK there is no new version for the 4000 and there never will be. We are hearing of v1.3 for the Evo which incorporates some changes that customers are asking for, but one of which will mean that some backward compatability is lost and certain parameters will need to be re-programmed, which is not the same as trashing your previous programming!

Harry
I've been to MPX, Niefern (HQ of MPX) last Friday. Some of the research and Tech-Guys told me about an Software update fpr the Royal EVO-XX TX. Some Changes will be made:

- Expo AND D/R for each flight phase
- New pre defined mixers for Airplane mode
- Fix of the Scanner-Bug in Release 1.2x
- New mode for 6-Flaped wings (like Alpina, E-Master, etc.)

These features will be available in Release 1.3 (about July 04). Mr Schneider of MPX said tehere will be
no full compatibility to Rel. 1.2x. Which means you have to re-define some parameters of your models.
He said the reason is the different storage-layout and data-model of Rel. 1.3.

So far, so good...

Greeting from Stuttgart, Germany,

Jens
I read the post wrong.

Copied from the Profi 4000 manual supplement for version 2.0: http://www.multiplexusa.com/Support/...s/P4_20_GB.PDF

If you use the P4000.PC program:
When the new transmitter software was introduced we
also issued Version 2.0 of the P4000.PC program.
Note that Version 1.0 of this program cannot communicate
with a transmitter running Version 2.0.
For a nominal fee of DM 10.00 you can obtain a diskette
containing the new program from our Customer
Service Dept.

So this is just a new version of the computer software not radio software?
Old 04-27-2004, 10:24 AM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I thought you meant now new, not old new! The Profi 4000 was upgraded to v2 software a long long time ago, about 1997/98. It will not be upgraded again, and frankly since it is still the best that you can buy, it doesn't need to be! The PC connect program also had to be upgraded to match the Tx v2 software at the same time. The Mpx PC prog for the 4000 is DOS and apparently does not work on XP. I use the new MPM program instead.

Multiplex Txs tell you which software version they are running, so you always know how up to date your Tx is.

Harry
Old 04-27-2004, 10:58 AM
PlaneKrazee

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Harry,

Why the heck didn't Multiplex use the same software in the Evo as the 4000? MPX is phasing out the 4000 in the US, why?

What is the MPM program and where do you get it?
Old 04-27-2004, 02:51 PM
HarryC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The Evo was never intended to replace the 4000, that is why it has nowhere near its capabilities. The Evo was always intended to be at the 3030 level, and Mpx openly states this and always has. Mpx has not said anything publicly about the 4000 nearing retirement yet, you will have to ask MpxUSA why they are limiting imports of it into America. Multiplex is not phasing out the 4000 in America, the importer MpxUSA is phasing out its imports.

MPM can be trialled and bought from www.denveralde.com/mpm/download.htm

MPM is a PC program to backup and restore model memories from computer Txs. The idea is that the program is generic, and uses a software interface relevant to the brand/type of Tx you want to connect. At the moment, only the Profi 4000 interface is available. MPM itself is not yet complete, not all features work, but so many of us were desperate for a backup program that we badgered Veronica into releasing it while at least the basic features work.

Harry