Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Transmitter Modification

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 03:40 PM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Transmitter Modification

Does any reader no of an individual or company that has the knowledge to increase the output wattage of an r/c transmitter. This modification is necessary to meet a requirement the DOD (Department of Defence) under a DARPA contract has tasked our company to perform.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:01 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Transmitter Modification

Something seems to be fishy here. In the first place this will be contrary to FCC rules and the goverment has their own frequencies to use for such tasks. If the company doesn't know the answers to the posted question, they have no business in that field. IMHO, this request should be ignored.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:14 PM
scubyfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I completely agree. If your company has enough balls to win a DARPA contract, then it will have an electrical enginner (or at least money to sub contract) to figure out the problem to your question. Besides, what kind of a government contract will rely on off-the-shelf, limited-to-one-mile-distance transmitters that are easily jammed by someone else on the same channel?

I call it Bologny Sandwich.
Old 04-27-2004, 09:19 AM
weskel

I dont have a clue on your question, but I know the army and marines are using small RC aircraft with cameras mounted to them to survey over the next hill or bend in the road, they are using as we speak in Afgahnistan and Iraq,

I am in Air force special operations and saw them in action in Iraq last year, they were using futaba transmitters...

I agree with you guys about his company should be able to have an engineer, just wanted to let you guys know the government does use "off the shelf" radio equipment.

weskel
Old 04-27-2004, 10:50 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: weskel

I dont have a clue on your question, but I know the army and marines are using small RC aircraft with cameras mounted to them to survey over the next hill or bend in the road, they are using as we speak in Afgahnistan and Iraq,

I am in Air force special operations and saw them in action in Iraq last year, they were using futaba transmitters...

I agree with you guys about his company should be able to have an engineer, just wanted to let you guys know the government does use "off the shelf" radio equipment.

weskel
I agree. I participated in such prgrams while working for the Boeing Co about 30 years ago. We used Heathkit equipment.

In answer to the question I think you should get a linear amplifier good for the frequency band you are using with the power output you need and hitch it too the output of your transmitter. Make a dummy load for your transmitter and patch it to the input of your amplifier. Any good tech. should be able to do this
Old 04-27-2004, 11:02 AM
mr.rc-cam

I do not believe the US Gov is using standard hobby freqs. The FCC Part 95 rules would not allow that. If "0ff-the-shelf" R/C Tx's are used, then they are probably the Part 90 approved versions that use the commericall freqs (interleaved between our hobby freqs). Futaba offers these products. Allowed RF power is higher to boot. A Part 90 license is required to operate this gear.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:52 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, the armed forces use similar equipment to ours but, IT IS NOT ON THE SAME FREQUENCIES AND NOT IDENTICAL. A far cry from the typical RC types of encoding and control.