Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

On-Off switch for old Futaba

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2004, 06:10 AM
Ross Kean

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On-Off switch for old Futaba

I have an old Futaba Attack 4 AM radio that I use only for float-flying. The radio is narrow band and works very well. I use it because I don't want to expose my 9C to the sand/water etc.

The radio started to glitch quite a bit and I found that the on-off switch wasn't working reliably. (Managed to ruin the switch completely while troubleshooting) Does anyone know whether there is some sort of generic switch replacement available? This radio is not worth sending in for repair.

Ross
Old 04-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: On-Off switch for old Futaba

This is most likely the switch harness you'll need:

FUTM4360 SWH8 MINI SW HARN CHRG CORD G $12.99

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells Futaba systems and accessories.
Old 04-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Ross Kean

Bax - Is the switch harness the switch plus circuit board for the Tx or is it an airborne switch? It isn't clear from the part description you posted. My problem is with the Tx on-off DPDT switch mounted to a small PC board.

After a brief search, I found a good physical match for the Tx switch at Radio Shack. Current carrying capacity seems to be adequate - rated at 0.3 amps. It will be a bit tricky to install but a friend who is an electronics technician will do it for me. It will be thoroughly tested before I commit it to flight!!! The Radio Shack switch appears to be identical to the old one and sells in a package of two for $3.00 Cdn.

I'll give this one a try - I can always order the other part from Futaba if a problem still exists.

Thank you

Ross
Old 04-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Sorry, that's the airborne switch harness. For the old AM transmitters, we'd not likely have their parts. Depends upon the exact model of the transmitter. Please be aware that several different models have used the "Attack" name.

If you know the exact model of your transmitter, we'd be able to tell you if parts for it are still available.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:59 AM
Ross Kean

Bax

The model is FP-T4NBL "Attack-4". It is an AM radio that is gold stickered. I think I will be able to fix it with a simple switch replacement and I think the Radio Shack part will be OK as per my previous post.

Thank you.

Ross
Old 04-27-2004, 01:19 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

I've had my fingers in a few of these radios. Some of them have the switch molded right into the plastic case of the transmitter. The only way on these is to replace the entire front of the transmitter.

Pete
Old 04-27-2004, 03:20 PM
Ross Kean

Hope this isn't the case but looking at it there might be a problem. If the switch doesn't come out easily, I'm fairly sure that the appropriate application of a Dremel grinding burr might persuade it. New switch epoxied in place?? I'll know more tomorrow.

Ross
Old 04-28-2004, 01:58 PM
Ross Kean

Fixed with a cheap switch. The old one is removed by taking out 8 screws and the strap attachment lug; switch is soldered to a small circuit board. Works fine for now.

Ross