RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec Eclipse 7 battery life

Old 04-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Mj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec Eclipse 7 battery life

I have a Hitec Eclipse that seems to work fine other than the fact that the included battery has a horrible lifespan. With a full charge it might only last for 15 or 20 minutes. When I was trying to configure all the settings (adjust trim, throttle settings, etc) on my helicopter, the battery would die before I could even get a full run out of it. From talking to people, it seems that this is normal, and that the included battery doesn't last long on a charge. I think it's only 650 or 850 mah.

Examining the battery pack, I noticed that it looks like it's made of Nicad AA cells. With this is mind, I remembered that Radio Shack has a AA battery holder that is about the same size. I bought one yesterday and filled it up with 2200 mah NiMh AA cells. After removing the little foam spacer in the battery bay, this pack fits perfectly without any modification. It's a tad tight, but not too tight. The battery tray cover fits over it and everything.

I haven't had a chance to fly with it yet, but I did test it out and everything seems to work fine. Remember that the cells are 1.2 volts just like the NiCad's, so the battery pack's voltage is identical. It seems to be a very worthwhile mod, since for only about $20 I went from 650 mah to 2200 mah.
Old 04-28-2004, 11:43 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hitec Eclipse 7 battery life

Mj Spring contact battery holders are generally a poor idea for RC aircraft and you will note they are only used in the very cheapest entry level Tx's.

The problem with them is corrosion of the contacts and it does not even have to be a damp environment. An additional failure mode is those cheap plastic holders when they are exposed to heat from the inevitable overcharges will become weak where the spring is positioned and the plastic will start to bend weakening the spring contact allowing the contact to become intermitant. Hard wired packs are far superior.

John
Old 04-28-2004, 12:08 PM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

your battery is bad. i am getting well over an hour and the voltage is still over 10.5 with both of my eclipse 7 radios. try to cycle your batteries several times if they are new.
Old 04-28-2004, 12:37 PM
Mj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: darryl123

your battery is bad. i am getting well over an hour and the voltage is still over 10.5 with both of my eclipse 7 radios. try to cycle your batteries several times if they are new.

Do yours have the spectra modules? That gets pretty warm.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:19 PM
Mj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hmm, I just turned the power on this time and let the radio run till the batteries are dead, and this time it lasted almost 2 hours. What's going on here?

Do the batteries last longer if you're not pressing any buttons? Or do they just need to be cycled more?

Thanks.
Old 04-28-2004, 03:31 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nicad cells sometimes suffer from a phenomenon known as voltage depression (VD) -- sometimes erroneously referred to as "memory".

What happens is that, after a number of partial discharges and full recharges, the batteries begin to operate with a reduced output voltage early-on in their discharge curve.

The result is that, when used in any "smart appliance" that monitors battery voltage (like your transmitter), they appear to be going flat when they actually still have a goodly amount of charge left in them.

A full discharge (down to 1.1 volts per cell -- 8.8v for a 9.6v pack) and recharge will reverse this VD effect and restore the higher operating voltage.

Make sure you don't discharge your battery to less than 8.8v however, or your risk reverse-polarizing some cells which can damage them.

If you're using Nicads, a battery cycler is not a bad investment -- especially if your flying habbits tend to result in only a very light discharge between recharges.
Old 04-28-2004, 05:31 PM
Mj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for your replies everyone!
Old 04-28-2004, 07:50 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: Mj
Hmm, I just turned the power on this time and let the radio run till the batteries are dead, and this time it lasted almost 2 hours. What's going on here?
Thanks.
[/quote

If you do this without extending the antenna at least one section or more you can damage the RF section (module) from the heat that occurs when there is no place for that energy to go. Without a fully extended antena any module or internal RF section will overheat and damge is cumlative.

John
Old 04-29-2004, 01:26 AM
Mj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I made sure to fully extend the antenna before I let turned it on. I didn't want to fry anything.

[quote]ORIGINAL: JohnBuckner

ORIGINAL: Mj
Thanks.
[/quote

If you do this without extending the antenna at least one section or more you can damage the RF section (module) from the heat that occurs when there is no place for that energy to go. Without a fully extended antena any module or internal RF section will overheat and damge is cumlative.

John
Old 04-29-2004, 07:54 AM
darryl123
My Feedback: (8)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hi
yes i have the spectra module in both of my eclipse 7 radios.
they both have about the same battery life. i bought some 1800 mah nimih batteries on ebay expecting short battery life but i havent used them . i bring out a feild charger if i fly a lot that day i top the batteries off. you didnt state if the radio was new and you may need to cycle your batteries to get better time out of them.
Old 04-30-2004, 02:50 AM
Mj

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: darryl123

hi
yes i have the spectra module in both of my eclipse 7 radios.
they both have about the same battery life. i bought some 1800 mah nimih batteries on ebay expecting short battery life but i havent used them . i bring out a feild charger if i fly a lot that day i top the batteries off. you didnt state if the radio was new and you may need to cycle your batteries to get better time out of them.
Yeah, it's pretty new. I've only used it maybe 4 times so far, and the battery life seemed very short. I'll try cycling the batteries.
Old 05-11-2004, 04:45 AM
Javier Garcia

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been using that radio for several months, with FM module, and the original battery works 90 minutes as minimum.
It´s a Nicad pack, 800 mAh.