Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Ham Band - OK to let others fly??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2004, 05:09 PM
The PIPE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did YOU notice MY "Post No. 24"?

Dear Highflight-RCU:

The PIPE Here AGAIN...and in that linked thread, did you notice my POST NO. 24 there???

It's just that the "Aint I a Stinker" rule is JUST THAT...a rotten, dirty, putrid STINKER of a rule...and using the FMA or Jensen 72 MHz modules (alongside the 50 MHz ones) with my two MicroStar knobby radios...radios I've built and AM building MYSELF for MY OWN needs...are, from what I've seen, just about the BEST answer to this STINKER's existence... until the FCC realizes "they've left the rotten food to accumulate in the sink disposer TOO LONG since it's been run last" and REPEALS this STUPID piece of legislation!

What SHOULD be in its place would be a rule that WOULD allow third party communications to be sent "one way" by amateur frequencies, PROVIDING it is ONLY done ENTIRELY within the rules already proscribed in Part 97.215 [except for the STINKER, of course], and with the ham licensed to operate the station acting as the "Primary Control Operator" for a BUDDY BOX configuration ONLY...which WOULD be, and MOST LIKELY to be, the ONLY allowable configuration for third party communications of a one way nature regarding RC flying.

I HAVE to wonder how long the FCC people responsible for the Ham regs have "had the CLOTHESPINS on their noses" regarding THIS "stinker"...the "STINKER rule" WAS passed over twenty years ago, and if one can imagine Washington Irving's Rip Van Winkle SLEEPING for that long in the story (as he DID in the story)...but WITH a clothespin holding HIS nose shut...at least a FEW of the FCC Ham rules writers MUST have some rather UNIQUE looking noses by now!

Most people who wish to fly single stick radios "of their very own" these days, WILL most likely HAVE to become Hams themselves to be able to do it (so they CAN build their own gear, OR get someone to do it for them, and have it on 50 MHz)...thankfully Morse Code knowledge is NO longer necessary to get the Technician class license! But for someone to actually GET that first experience with a knobby radio via a buddy box setup...THAT's where my MicroStars WILL stand ready to actually HELP someone [who is NOT a Ham as yet] GET that experience, and legally ON 72 MHz!!!

It won't be at least 2005 before I can do this for anyone, but I AM looking forward to being able to do it by then WITH my first two MicroStar knobby radios...and I'm sure looking forward TO that time, whenever it happens after that date!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 04-30-2004, 05:56 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Ham Band - OK to let others fly??

I know this is a bit off topic:

I studied for about 2 hours (I used hamtestonline to pass the tests, I swear by that) and got my Technicians license. Well they asked me if I wanted to get a General, I said does it cost anything else, they said no, so I took that and passed.

So now if I do this 5 word Morse code thing, I can get a General license. Does anyone have a source for a PC based training tool?

THanks
Old 04-30-2004, 06:13 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

I got my Tech license back when it was a REAL Tech license (code required). I tried several different methods to learn the code, but the one that "turned on the light" for me and allowed me to learn at my own pace (and fast, too) was Super Morse.
It's a DOS program, though, but that's not a problem because you can first try to run it in a Windows DOS window, and if that doesn't work, just start Windows with C prompt only and run the program.

http://www.murrah.com/sm/

Highflight

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I know this is a bit off topic:

I studied for about 2 hours (I used hamtestonline to pass the tests, I swear by that) and got my Technicians license. Well they asked me if I wanted to get a General, I said does it cost anything else, they said no, so I took that and passed.

So now if I do this 5 word Morse code thing, I can get a General license. Does anyone have a source for a PC based training tool?

THanks
Old 04-30-2004, 06:56 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Did YOU notice MY "Post No. 24"?

ORIGINAL: The PIPE

Big SNIP

The PIPE Here AGAIN... and REPEALS this STUPID piece of legislation!
Pipe, I agree it is not needed. However, if you read the report closely, it is an interpretation of the rules and not a rule with in itself. Someone decreed that telecommunications doesn't fall under the third party rule. They could have just as well said that it did.

What I don't like about any of the "new" FCC rules is they are very non specific in a lot of areas. This leaves them to the FCC's interpretation to use as they see fit at the time they need them.

I would bet a very good case could be made to rebut their interpretation, but who is goning to bother, I'm not.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:33 PM
KB9STD
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: The PIPE

But for someone to actually GET that first experience with a knobby radio via a buddy box setup...THAT's where my MicroStars WILL stand ready to actually HELP someone [who is NOT a Ham as yet] GET that experience, and legally ON 72 MHz!!!

TO that time, whenever it happens after that date!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 04-30-2004, 08:40 PM
KB9STD

Ok,So I havn't figured out how to include quotes.But I have figured out that the Pipe is just trading one rule violation for another.While I applaud his effort to comply with the amateur regulations,I can't condone his disregard of the RC rules.While he cannot allow a non-amateur to operate a "Buddy-Box" connected to his 50mhz transmitter,He also is not allowed to operate a non "type Accepted" transmitter in the RC band.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:46 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To Steve Campbell

The VHF contest is a ham thing and is a very popular contest. QRP is running low power and I know some of the people in the VHF contest are NOT running low power. I have listened to communications in the 6 meter section of the band we fly on during that contest. There is nothing from keeping a ham from operating in the section we fly in but a gentleman's agreement.

73s

Pete
Old 04-30-2004, 09:32 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: KB9STD
But I have figured out that the Pipe is just trading one rule violation for another.While I applaud his effort to comply with the amateur regulations,I can't condone his disregard of the RC rules.While he cannot allow a non-amateur to operate a "Buddy-Box" connected to his 50mhz transmitter,He also is not allowed to operate a non "type Accepted" transmitter in the RC band.

Oh this should be good :-)
Old 05-01-2004, 07:49 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

IBTL

Step back, give 'em room.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

ORIGINAL: KB9STD
But I have figured out that the Pipe is just trading one rule violation for another.While I applaud his effort to comply with the amateur regulations,I can't condone his disregard of the RC rules.While he cannot allow a non-amateur to operate a "Buddy-Box" connected to his 50mhz transmitter,He also is not allowed to operate a non "type Accepted" transmitter in the RC band.

Oh this should be good :-)
Old 05-01-2004, 09:31 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thank you, modeltronics. When is this VHF Contest held?

One of my flying buddies is a ham, and he tells me that the 50mHz R/C bands are very "quiet". So, while there is an apparent opportunity for interference, it still seems like the odds are better than 72mHz. And I can keep the 72mHz TX module and one 72mHz receiver for the trainer, I suppose.

Looks like I need to begin studying...

Old 05-01-2004, 09:51 AM
Bob_Wilcox

Default I just a bad boy!

I don't want to get in the way of Pipe's next post but Highflight, this is why I have such a disregard of this stupid rule.

[ul][*] First, I never instruct anyone with my planes. After being in R/C models since 1964 I've come to the conclusion that I am totally incapable of teaching. I applaud all the guys that can really help someone learn to fly because it takes something that I never have been able to achieve. However, I am good at helping someone build and pre-flight their plane.[*] I fly mode 1. Very few people would be able to take my transmitter and fly anyhow.[*] I fly in at a NON-AMA, barely frequency controlled field. Flying a $10,000 jet model when that newbie comes in with his park flyer that has no knowledge of frequency control is why prefer 6M. However, I know the possibility of someone with their synthesized handy-talkie could take me out anytime. I feel that this scenario is less likely than the problems with 72 MHz at our field. By the way, if you think your are safer on 50 than 53, your dreaming. I have asked several armature friends and they did not know these frequencies were reserved for R/C models. I guess they forgot what was on the test! You know, outside of our hobby, most people don't have a clue we even exist.[*] The AMA has just recently allowed turbine non-waiver holders to be able to buddy box with a waiver holder to get there sign off. We fought hard to get this new rule and it is very valuable to our segment. I am not going to risk my model, the safety of others and not allow someone to utilize this new privilege the AMA has given because of this STUPID IDIOTIC RULE the FCC has.[*] I believe that if we bring up why this rule is not reasonable to the FCC, we could get it revised. This would be better than sitting back and just blindly accepting it and let it be the status quo. That is why Pipe should get on to this ASAP [*] I don't have my name in several of my planes, another one of my blatant disregard of the safety code.
[/ul]
Old 05-06-2004, 12:53 AM
UNLDAVE
My Feedback: (2)

Mr Matt

I passed the General and code test a while ago... The majority of people passing the test that day in the Bay Area used this program Called the "Koch Method "
Here's a link to the FREE download. http://www.g4fon.co.uk/

I hope this helps .. It took me about a month studying 20 minutes a day to pass the code exam...

Good Luck , Dave de N6VLY
Old 01-20-2005, 10:09 PM
The PIPE

NOW the Yahoo MicroPro/MICROSTAR group knows about this thread...

Dear KB9STD:

The PIPE here YET AGAIN...and at the Yahoo MicroPro/MICROSTAR user forum, I've mentioned this VERY thread which contains my comments about the ABSOLUTE NEED to ERADICATE the "Ain't I a Stinker" rule...

at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MP8K/message/3346 is where my mention of this thread is located there...the Yahoo MicroPro/MicroStar group is about the BEST place to get support for the old Ace RC MicroPro computer transmitter (people there are even endeavoring to create NEW firmware upgrades for the old MicroPro...no kidding!) AND support for the Gordon Anderson originated MicroStar transmitter is offered there, too...even by its designer, Gordon Anderson, himself!!!

So, now my fellow MP8K and MS2K fans at their Yahoo forum know about this need...Hams SHOULD be able to "buddy-box" JUST as easily as the 72 MHz crowd does!!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 02-26-2005, 03:53 PM
mr_matt

Hey Pipe how you gonna legally use 72 MHz modules in that knobby Jensen job?

Regards,
Old 07-16-2005, 12:04 PM
The PIPE

I DO have a pair of SILVER SEVENS I can use them with...!

Dear Mr_Matt:

The PIPE Here once again...and since I still have my PAIR of Ace RC knobby Silver Seven radios...which I DID build a quarter century ago...

...THOSE can EASILY use the 72 MHz FMA/JJM decks I now have !!!

And that's a COMPLETELY LEGAL usage for those RF decks...they were made for upgrading just about ANY Ace RC digital proportional radio that used the older "11G9" AM decks anyway, and where I've still got that pair of Silver Sevens, those can easily get the 72 MHz decks, and with a bit of help from the Yahoo Ace RC and MicroPro/MICROSTAR groups, I'll figure out HOW to "buddy-box" my pair of Silver Sevens with FM decks in them...

...but the "student's radio", in any case, HAS to have its Ace RC, FMA, or JJM-made FM RF deck disconnected for the whole thing to work in the first place!

I'll be hitting Marv Jensen in August 2005 for a pair of his Zytel joysticks, one each for each Silver Seven knobby radio, so I can at last get those radios back into service...and I'll also be getting a full set of trims from Marv for each of those radios (six total, three for each radio) will also be acquired to go around the stick for elevator, aileron and throttle trims (the rudder trim is atop the case on my pair of them).

My S-7s also have a VERY special mod on their encoders that's a big help...something like the European radios of the 1970s and 1980s had, which was a COMPLETE "programming board" that had a full set of travel (usually including dual rate) and centering pots for each channel, as well as reversing switches, for AL the channels...but it's just for the throttle channel alone on my S-7s, as it's the "most likely to be tweaked" when setting up a Silver Seven type of non-computer radio for a different model. The throttle reversing switch is left in place, and the throw and centering pots for the throttle channel on the S-7 encoder are removed (as well as the plug-in fixed resistor's sockets for the "trim authority" setup) and the throw and centering pots, as well as an added third pot for setup of the trim authority, got placed onto a new plug-in PC board that connects to the encoder through a pair of Deans 3-pin socket connectors placed on the encoder board, in the same area that the old throw and centering pots used to occupy.

Each "throttle programming" board for my pair of S-7s is labeled with the name of the model it's for, which S-7 Tx it's to be used in (either "1" or "2" ), and an arrow that shows which direction the reversing switch needs to be moved to for the throttle to go in the correct direction for that model.

Since Marv Jensen has RUN OUT of rudder knobs "for the time being" for knobby Tx builders to use on their projects, I've been getting dimensional info and photos of the exterior & "innards" of the rudder knobs on those still-popular JR knobby radios (Century 7 and PCM-9) that haven't been made in over a decade...combine the general design of one of THOSE with an easily-available Bourns 3852 "Series 162" 1/8ths inch shaft pot, and get THOSE into production...and brand new knobby radios, for those of us who have Ham licenses, CAN be made once again !!! I'll be CADding up the drawings for that project during the remainder of this summer...which IS one I'd even be willing to take on later next year, by molding up my own rudder knob plastic parts in epoxy to create them if needed, from my own drawings.

Now I've got to plan on saving up for a nice digital readout caliper to purchase online to help MEASURE things for that rudder knob project...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!