Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

7CAP and GWS Reciever Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 06:33 PM
Cautrell05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7CAP and GWS Reciever Problems

I cant get my radio to work with my plane. Everything is new. Futaba 7CA Gws R4P ch 26 futaba shift, GWS pico servos. when I turn on the radio and plug in the battery nothing happens. no control at all on any channel. There is some erattic glitching(really bad) that sometimes goes away If I hold one of the sticks to one side. But there is nothing that even resembles control of the servos. The GWS reciever is stamped for futaba radios. It has the proper reciever(FM) and crystal. The TX battery is reading 10.2 volts. The lipo is straight off of the charger. The radio is set on PPM(factory default. The bad part is that it is all new. so I cant say for sure that its in the TX or the reciever. One thing I thought of trying was to talk to some of the guys at the flying field and find someone with a Futaba radio and switch the TX crystals between my radio and his for a non flying bench test. If My plane works with his radio then the problem is in my TX. and if my radio works with his plane but his radio doesent work with mine then the problem is in my reciever. And of course after the bench test we would put the TX crystals back in the proper radio so we dont have the feds after us. I really need some help on this. Thanks.

Nick
Old 05-02-2004, 09:40 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Default RE: 7CAP and GWS Reciever Problems

Did you get a receiver with your new 7c? If you did try that receiver. Are you using a battery or a speed control to power the receiver? If you are using a speed control try a battery pack.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:07 PM
Cautrell05

I bought the TX by itself from servo city and the GWS reciever from ALLERC. The servos, ESC and BEC all were tested with my AM car radio when I was building the plane.

Nick
Old 05-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nick:
are you sure you you have the polarity right? On all of my GWS rcvrs. the ground is to the crystal side of the rcvr. If theyre plugged in backwards, doesn't hurt anything, just won't work. Just something else to check. Have done it myself.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:34 PM
FHHuber
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cautrell05

I bought the TX by itself from servo city and the GWS reciever from ALLERC. The servos, ESC and BEC all were tested with my AM car radio when I was building the plane.

Nick

The 7CAP will NOT do AM.

The 7CAP defaults to PCM... which will not operate a GWS FM RX. try resetting to PPM mode.

If the menues are similar to my Super-7 (probably not 15 to 20 years they tend to change the menues) then it will say "Mode F" while resetting to PPM... and "Mode P" when setting to PCM... but then when the mode is selected... it will say PPM or PCM on the screen durring normal operation.

It is EASY to get it into the wrong mode and swear its correct... then find out you goofed when switching models and ended up back in the wrong mode.[&:]
Old 05-05-2004, 12:19 AM
Cautrell05

Yea I know that the AM reciever wont work with my 7C. I used my pistol grip car radio when I was building the plane to check servo travel and linkages.

My radio came preset on PPM.

Nick
Old 05-05-2004, 01:03 AM
FHHuber
Banned

It is also easy to plug the servos and battery into the RX incorrectly... Looking at my GWS RX now...

White goes AWAY from the edge of the circuit board (GWR-4P) The servo plugs parallel the crystal.

Feeding power with a standard RX pack and switch or an ESC? Either way... try plugging an RX 4-cell pack directly to the RX making sure the black wire is by the edge of the board. (or test the RX in your car for a sec... using your car's known good ESC and servos. )

Too bad there's no known good 127DF RX on the correct channel on hand... nor a known good TX on the same channel. Solve it quick.

One posiblility that MIGHT be goofing you up... I seem to remember that someone made a radio a while back where if you collapsed the antennae into the TX completely... it disconnected the antenna from the RF output... and you couldn't get a 2 ft range check at times. Pull the antenna out. to full length and try it.

just read some interresting complaints about the 7C.... seems that messing with the timer can set your servo travels to 0. Check the ATV's and subtrims.