Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Royal Evo and JR digital servos HELP PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2004, 02:16 PM
3wExtra

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Royal Evo and JR digital servos HELP PLEASE!

ok, this is the skinny. I own a grand total of 78 (8411 and 8611). I also own a 10x and 2 RE 12 synthesized. My problem* is that they do not get along very well, so I am trying to find out what is what I can do. I do not mind switching to futaba (if there are no problems like with the jr digitals) in the future. But what do I do to fix the problem I have, and I suppose many of out there. According to hitec it could be a problem with the synthesizer and I will have to wait until MPX Germany resolves the issue. Should I just sell my Evos and keep going with JR if there are no solutions in the near future? Are there any hacks that could be implemented?

* The problem seams to be as if the movement of one channel causes other channels to move. That is for example, if I move the elevator the throttle would glitch, or if I move the rudder the elevator would move. There is no mixing and no correlation on which channel will make other channel move.

Thank you
Old 05-03-2004, 03:15 PM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Royal Evo and JR digital servos HELP PLEASE!

I've got a good number of JR digitals as well, but I don't get the pronounced problem as you do (I also have an EVO12/synth). I just get the minor jittering but everything works and flies great together.

But since you're having the problem to the extent where you can't trust the EVO/JR combination, and you have a ton of JR servos, and the JR servos won't bring you back much for your investment compared to the EVO's (you'll probably get what you paid for your EVO's), and since there is no stated time frame from Hitec for addressing the issue, I'd personally say you should probably sell the EVO's and go all JR.
I doubt very much if any quick-fixes are out there to help you so selling the EVO's will cure your repeated headaches and stop your worrying about the issue. You've already got the 10X which is a fine radio in it's own right so just dump the EVO's and get on with enjoying the hobby. [&:]

Highflight
Old 05-03-2004, 03:21 PM
3wExtra

what kind of receivers fo you use? what channel?
do you use more than 9 channels in your config?
Why would you think that i could have this kind of problem?
Old 05-03-2004, 03:56 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you setup the servo assignment configuration, UNI or MPX? This should not be a factor IMO, but to properly center the servos it makes a difference... You want the UNI setting for all servos under the servo assignment menu.

Try a standard TX module, the synth modules have been known to cause similar problems with other brands equipment as you have described. This will eliminate the synth module or not.

Whose RX's are in play?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:34 PM
3wExtra

the RX are FMA 8 channel (very new) MPX or JR fm Rx. i will try the standard TX module next weekend. how the problem you are referring were resolved? are these problems only happening with JR servos?
thank you
Astolfo
Old 05-03-2004, 06:12 PM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some aftermarket RXs did not work with my Futaba synth 9Z stuff. I understand FMA RX's have problems too. There is no standard fix, I understood that the RX's I had which acted funny needed some fine tuning and all was well, I recall a resistor was changed on them. This work was done by an outside radio control tech, not an OEM facility. Something to do with allowable component tolerances comes to mind.

So your suggesting that all the RX's you mentioned exhibit the same behavior?
Old 05-03-2004, 06:51 PM
3wExtra

that is right! all of them the same problem!
Old 05-03-2004, 07:18 PM
Highflight

I'm using about half Futaba, half Hitec, and one Polk's Seeker II synth receiver with my EVO12/synth.

I haven't yet had to use more than nine channels, but as soon as the 12 channel MPX IPD receivers become more available, I'm going to get two of them not only because of the 12 channels, but because of the dual battery pack feature. Are you saying that your main problem is when you are using channels 10+?
Also as has already been noted, check to see what setting you entered when you set up your New Model in the Servo conf. line. You should be OK with choosing JR or Futaba, but if you let it default to MPX-MPX, I "think" that might be a conflict.

All my receivers are fixed channel rx's except for the Seeker, and I fly throughout the 60 channel range from 15 at the lowest to 48 at the highest (not on purpose; it just worked out that way because those were the frequencies of the receivers at the time).

I think guessing what your problem is wouldn't be productive, so what I would suggest (if you really would like to keep the EVO's) is to take the whole box of stuff you have to a local radio shop and put it all on a scope to see EXACTLY where the signal is going funny.
Of course, a cheap test would be to try identical setups but on either of your two EVO's and see if one EVO behaves differently from the other. That would be a place to start checking things, but in the end, I still think you'll want a radio tech to give it all a once over.

Highflight

ORIGINAL: 3wExtra

what kind of receivers fo you use? what channel?
do you use more than 9 channels in your config?
Why would you think that i could have this kind of problem?
Old 05-03-2004, 10:34 PM
3wExtra

there is no difference on which evo-rx-plane i use. they all behave the same way.
Old 05-04-2004, 05:41 AM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

I have a Evo 9 channel NON synth (crystal) radio, and have had zero problems with any/all servo/RX combos (I run FMA/Hitec/MPX Rx's), and also have had no problems with any brand of servo (including JR). I think maybe it would be wise to ditch the Synth module, and get a Crystal module. I dont think the Synth radios are where they need to be just yet to work the way we want (flawlessly). See if you can get a Crystal TX Module from Hitec...or Hobbyhorse..might be the cheap solution till the software is fixed.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:00 AM
Macchi

If you head over to the rcgroups forums there is a long thread titled "Multiplex Royal Evo Tx" in the radios forum, and posts number 1653-1657 discuss this problem including some feedback from Hitec.
Good luck,
Federico