Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

jr 8103 questions

Old 05-11-2004, 03:01 AM
wing-nut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jr 8103 questions

Guys,

I am trying to decide between a new 9C or an xp8103. I know there has been much debate on this subject, so I won't put you all through that again. My questions concern the minor differences. First, I have read the JR referred to as "old technology." True or now. I want something with longevity and good support. I am wondering if there is any advantage or otherwise with regard to the knobs on the JR that the 9C lacks. JR seems to have an "invert curve" and a couple other things for helis that I was unble to find on the Futaba. I realize this is much like the Ford/Chevy debate, so we won't get into that. I am just wondering if, all things considered, there is anything solid to sway me (a beginner) in one direction or the other. Any comments, input appreciated. Thanks a bunch.

Bryan
Old 05-11-2004, 12:29 PM
MikeL
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: jr 8103 questions

Not too many people use the invert switch with a heli anymore.

Most of this comes down to personal preference. Many people will point to minor differences between the capabilities of the two systems, and try to make them sound like much larger issues than they really are. If you really want to know which is right for you, make the effort to go to a hobby shop and spend some time with each. One will fit better in your hands than the other, and one will seem more intuitive to you than the other. Nobody can say which system is better for you.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:59 PM
wing-nut

Is everyone saying that the Futaba is not necessarily better because it is newer?

Bryan
Old 05-11-2004, 01:01 PM
michpittsman
My Feedback: (11)

I'm on my second 8103 and I like JR. but it looks to me like the 8103 is due for an updating, especially since the new 6102 at $240-$270 (PCM!)
has several features my 8103 doesn't. If you want the latest, the 8103 is a fine radio and easy to program IMHO, but not the latest technology. Next year, give or take, its replacement in the JR line right below the 10X will be a kick-ass radio and I will buy one. Maybe they will go the way of Multiplex and let you design the tx exactly to your own requirements. Dare to dream. Next year JR will probably jump ahead again. And so it goes.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:46 PM
wing-nut

mich,

thanks a lot for your input. i like jr, to, and have had a couple of them. but seems the 8103 is several years old and, except for the digital trims, still looks the same. i have been a jr fan for years. never was too seriously into r/c until lately, so i still have much to learn. i think i till jump ship and go to the 9c. thanks again and good luck.

bryan
Old 05-11-2004, 07:04 PM
GJr.
My Feedback: (3)

Remember the new JR PCM 9 X system will be out in the future. It appears to be coming in the summer. Rumor has it they are doing testing of the programming and other changes requested for the US market. It should be a very nice radio with some features the 10 X does not posess.