Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Flash 5 problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 10:51 AM
2left_thumbs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flash 5 problem

I have an old-model Hitec Flash 5 that has never been flown in an aircraft (I bought it to put in a plane, then quit flying for several years). The problem I am experiencing is that the directional travel for the rudder servo is not equal in both directions. At first I thought it was just the servo, but when plugged into any other channel works fine. Next thought was reciever, but when used with another radio it checked out fine, and a different reciever used with the Flash 5 showed the same problem. Now I am down to the transmitter itself, and I think I may have found the cause. When I go into programming mode on the trans, then go to EPA, and watch the + and - signs as I move the stick, I noticed that the - doesn't change to a + until the stick is about halfway over to the right (all others change when the stick is moved from center). I don't know if that's clear or not, but if anybody understands what I'm saying, is there any way I can fix this, or do I need to send the transmitter to Hitec for service?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-12-2004, 12:27 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Flash 5 problem

You figured it out. Go to EPA on channel four hold the stick all the way to the right and set the endpoint then move the stick all the way to the left and set the endpoint agine. both ends can be set separately to different travels. I don,t use the Flash models but do use the Prism's and Eclipse and this function is similar.

John[8D]
Old 05-12-2004, 02:43 PM
2left_thumbs

I think I'll have to explain better. With the EPA set to 100% for both positive and negative and trim set to 0%, the rudder movement is still not equal. I don't know if the Prism's and Eclipse's are the same, but suspect they are, that you don't have to have the stick moved all the way left or right to set the end points, just enough so that the stick is in either the - or + side. On all channels except rudder on my radio, this happens at just off center. On the rudder channel, I have to push the stick about halfway to the right just to get to the + side. It's like the stick is calibrated off-center, so the radio senses the stick "centering" at about half deflection to the right.

After studying the reaction of the servo closely as I move the stick, the rudder moves continually as you push the stick right, much farther than normal. When the stick is pushed left, the rudder only moves until the stick reaches about 1/3 - 1/2 the stick throw, then stops, resulting in about 1/2 as much left throw.

Does this clear up the situation any?
Old 05-12-2004, 03:25 PM
JohnBuckner

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK, I am not sure if that radio has trim memory or not, this is not the same as Sub trim, if so there is the possibility the Tx has inadvertantly had it activated.

If you have not alredy tryed this, then do. each time you set up a new airplane model always go through this step first. Return the radio to factory default. Hitec calls it Reset and it will be spelled out somewhere in the manual. This needs to be done for each model memory or a new tranny. Following these steps will set all servos to 100% endpoints zero sub trims and trim memory if it has that feature. Also all mix's will be inhibited as well as dual rates (I don,t think the Flash has DR on rudder as the others do).

John
Old 05-13-2004, 03:03 PM
2left_thumbs

Anybody happen to have a manual for this radio, or just know how its done properly and can tell me? The reset, I mean. I know I have a manual around here somewhere, but I haven't cleaned my workshop in quite awhile and can't seem to find a darn thing. I might just see if I can figure it out, but if that fails, a little help sure wouldn't hurt.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:58 PM
patternwannabee

2lt,

Here goes...

Enter Initial Mode Programming: Turn off the TX. While pressing UP and DN/Timer key, turn power switch to on.

Scroll thru menu until you get to Data Reset (should read "RST AL" on the display)
Press CUT/SAVE key to reset all data to factory default.
Press Up or DN key until you get to Initial Mode Save menu (displays SA).
press CUT/SAVE to save the input data.

Check your email for the scanned pages of the manual.

However... from what you describe, it sounds like there is a problem with your TX.

Let us know if this helped. If not, try it on the second model memory. Otherwise, you can always open up the TX to see if everything looks ok at the gimbal.
Old 05-16-2004, 10:28 PM
2left_thumbs

OK, little update. I got the Tx working right. It was the adjustment on the gimbal itself. I just opened up the case and turned the adjuster until everything was centered up right. Now maybe I can get back to flying (and crashing ). I also wanted to express my sincere thanks to patternwannabe for the info both here and in email, you rock!