Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dumb Futaba 9C ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2004, 02:21 AM
thomp896

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Futaba 9C ?

The radio displays voltage at all times when you turn the radio on/off etc, how low is too low to fly safely. I have the standard FM airplane version which is shipped with a 700 mamp battery I believe(but I could be wrong). I don't worry too much about the reciever because it has a 2700 mamp battery( I needed the weight so what the heck)
Thanks, Steve
Old 05-17-2004, 09:04 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dumb Futaba 9C ?

ORIGINAL: thomp896

The radio displays voltage at all times when you turn the radio on/off etc, how low is too low to fly safely. I have the standard FM airplane version which is shipped with a 700 mamp battery I believe(but I could be wrong). I don't worry too much about the reciever because it has a 2700 mamp battery( I needed the weight so what the heck)
Thanks, Steve
When you get down to below the rated range of the battery (9.6v) you are flying at risk. The rate of battery discharge to failure increases exponentially from that point. I keep my TX battery peaked to above 10volts and typically never have to worry about it during a day of flying. I check it before the 1st flight and if it is less than 10 volts I'll peak it to max. I changed out the 700mah NICAD for a 1600mah NIMH so I never have to worry about cycling.
Old 05-17-2004, 01:37 PM
smokingcrater

IIRC, it starts beeping at 8.8 volts and will throttle you down around 8.6, 30 seconds after that it shuts off. as the other post mentioned, it is exponentially faster at that end. from 9.5 to 8.8 maybe takes 30 minutes.

It is best to replace the stock battery in the 9c, that radio seems to draw quite a bit powering the LCD and the batt life isn't great.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:11 AM
Flyfalcons

If I turn my 9C on and it shows 9.6 then I know I'm good for one more flight. After that it goes on the charger. That is unless I'm flying a SPAD, then I just go until it starts beeping at me.
Old 05-18-2004, 12:43 AM
Flyfalcons

PS calling your transmitter "dumb" is just asking for the RC gods to strike down your best plane..........
Old 05-18-2004, 12:55 AM
3DFanatic
My Feedback: (5)

THe way I figure is by the time it starts beeping, you're so low on EMF what difference does it make? Beepers kinda hokey. I stop flying at about 9.8 just to be perfectly safe.