Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help! Servos not travelling the same distance...

Old 05-18-2004, 12:40 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Servos not travelling the same distance...

I am almost done with my UCD .46.

Hitec 425bbs for the ailerons and I'm using a 9C transmitter. I've got the servos in channels 1 and 6 for flaperons.

I didn't notice this right away, but one aileron servo travels further than the other.

I set up flaps/spoilerons on switch G. When I flip the switch either way(up or down), one aileron goes up further than the other with the spoilerons. When I go the opposite way with the switch, that same aileron droops further than the other as a flap.

At first I thought it was a linkage issue. But I checked the servo test display, and sure enough, even when using just regular ailerons, that same servo is travelling slightly further than the other one. Same with flaps and spoilers. It's just harder to tell with the ailerons, as flaps/spoilerons it's easy to see if they're not lined up.

I've gone through everything, turned off all the mixes I'm not using, and checked all the number % to be sure they're equal.

Could this be an issue with a bad servo??

Starting to run out of ideas, thanks for the help.
Old 05-18-2004, 01:27 PM
rcflier_gi
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Help! Servos not travelling the same distance...

I find that typical when using seperate channels for aileron and/or flap servos (also elevator). Just use the EPA setting to get the travel the same.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:01 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pretty much agree with Rcflier. Set your servo neutrals up as close to the same as possibe at the servo arm with all the trims, centers and ATV at zero on your radio. Match up as close as possible the lengths and centers of all the linkages at the servos mechanically before messing with the electronic adjustments Then start with the aileron channel and set your travel adjust. Now go to channel 6 and do the same.

You may have to reduce the farthur moving servo to match the shorter one. Fine tune the end points with the sub-trims.
Old 05-21-2004, 12:43 AM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the help guys.

I figured it out, and got them the same.

The elevators were a different story. I had them all adjusted up to travel the same, then I flipped the high rate switch and one was 1/4" higher than the other, ***? I discovered a linkage that was binding(clevis threaded on too far, end of rod was hitting the servo arm at full travel), and moved one of the servo arms one spline and that took care of the problem. Thank god for the adjustablity of the 9C or I probably wouldn't have ever gotten them right!!