Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio and Servo Setups

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 11:59 PM
scvsteve
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio and Servo Setups

I bought the U- Can do 3D fun fly 91 os surpass II installed. I have always wondered what the correct procedure was in setting up the radio control throws and servos. I set the servos to nuetral with the radio on marked the 2/56 rods cut and installed the rods on center. I set the EPA but it turns out to be under 100 percent 60 on rudder 30 on ailerons etc. Also when the controls are off the control surfaces are all out of whack. NOw the plane will fly with controls set but I hear you should get them near to 100 percent as possible. But how is what I need to know. Which is the correct way and order to setup an aircraft and still have it look decent when controls are off.. I have the futaba 6EXA radio. I have a servo on each aileron, and one on each elevator, and one on the rudder and throttle. I have 2 Y's for the ailerons and elevators and chose not to use flaperons at this point. Thanks much
Old 05-20-2004, 07:07 AM
marchuuw

Default RE: Radio and Servo Setups

Hello there, I'm not sure I fully understand what your setup issues are, but I'll try and give you help based on the little I know. First of all, you servos probably go off center wwhen turned off because you are shutting the remote off before the plane. Never do this. Always turn off the receiver circuit first, and your servos won't go off position. Plus, if there should be any interference in your are that your receiver could pick up when your tx is off, it could throw your servos to extreme positions, striping internal gears or putting strain on the control rods/surfaces etc...

Next, before you install your servo horns, turn your tx on, turn the receiver on, center all your trims and then turbn the receiver off. Now your servos are centered and you can position your horns as close to neutral as possible.you'll always have to do a little trim, but if you have a computer radio, you can zero these out. Last you need to measure the movement at the extremeties of your control surfaces and compare that to the plane manufacturers recomendations, and adjust the position of your control rods on the control horns acordingly. Bringing the conection closer to the servo horn center will reduce the final throw, and moving away from center will increase it.

Finally, bring your plane to your local club's flying field, and there will be many experienced flyers there who will be able to inspect your work and give you advice.

Hope this helps !
Old 05-20-2004, 08:27 AM
scvsteve

Well that explains some of the problem. I have the controls centered but the throws are to long I guess because the EPA is in the 30 to 70 range on the tx. Without doing this the rudder etc. have way to much movement. I did that to shorten up the movement. I will try and work with the control rods some more to see if I can shorten this up closer to neutral.
Old 05-20-2004, 09:36 AM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Maybe this helps.

you have two basic travels. One the servo arm, two the control horn. You get the most power and precision if you use all the travel the servo has to get what you need at the horn. If you have to much deflection at the surface move the clevis closer to the center of the servo arm and/or move the clevis further away from the hinge point on the horn. Try not to lessen the travel using end points in the transmitter.

Carl
Old 05-21-2004, 11:00 AM
scvsteve

Ok Carl I took your advice and moved the clevis all of the way in on the servo arm and got some travel back but not above 50 percent. The clevis is already all of the way out on the horn away from the hinge point, so no help there. I did an experiment by moving everything to high rates and then I can get most of the EPA back. This model starts at inch and a quarter to 3 inches on the rudder so quite a span.I am using low rates at first to check the plane out but will eventually shift to using the higher rates. The servos don't seem to be working that hard. I tried to get more EPA towards 100 percent every way I Know but not on the lower rates. I shortened rods, extended rods but still get no more travel. I guess this is all I can get on the low rate settings.