Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo Low Rates

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2004, 10:58 PM
km6tj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo Low Rates

I have a 115" Wing Span B-24 with a two servo setup for the rudders and nose wheel steering (one for the rudders and one in front for the steering. I'm using a Futaba T6XAS radio. I would like to keep max travel for the rudders, for obvious reasons, but I need to tame the travel for the Nose Gear Steering. Mechanically, I am at the minimum throw using the retract steering arm and the servo arm, but it is stll way too sensitive. The radio doesn't have switchable rates for the rudder channel, but I would prefer to set the gear steering sensitivity independent of the rudders, which would be critical for engine out, etc., etc.

Does anyone know of an inline, electronic servo travel limiter that would work to de-sensitize a servo to limit the travel? Sort of an inline dual rate module? Maybe it could be set up with pots that could be adjusted on installation? Or, is it possible to modify an off the shelf servo electronically to make it respond as if it were reacting to transmitter inputs?

Thanks for any input,
Ken
Old 05-25-2004, 11:50 PM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Servo Low Rates

Just some thoughts. Since you're using independant servos, could you use a Matchbox to dial down the travel of the steering servo? At the same time use that Matchbox to ramp up the travel of the rudder servo?

I know the Matchbox is used to match servos end points and neutrals, but is there any reason you couldn't match the neutrals go opposites with travels?
Old 05-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Since you're already using Futaba equipment, you can also consider the Futaba MSA-10. It allows you to put up to four servos on a single channel and adjust the centering, end points, and direction of throw for each servo. Sounds like just what you're looking for.

http://www.futaba-rc.com/radioaccys/futm4155.html
Old 05-26-2004, 08:01 PM
km6tj

Thanks for the replies!!!
I wasn't aware Futaba made a unit for such a purpose, and, at a reasonable price! It looks like what the doctor ordered. I just went to their site and have it in my shopping cart. To bad I probably won't get it for the long weekend ...

Thanks again

Ken
Old 05-27-2004, 01:11 AM
Tired Old Man

Unfortunately, I'm not familiar with current Futaba products. But I'm really glad that you found a similar product to the Matchbox that will serve the need.

Take care and enjoy.
Old 06-02-2004, 09:28 PM
km6tj

Hi Bill
I got the MSA-10 delivered today and was anxious to hook it up, which I promptly did! I have a few questions: how much servo travel should I expect when adjusting throws and endpoints? As I mentioned before, I have the Futaba T6XAS system and the servo I want to de-sensitize is a S3003. I got very minimal travel adjustment and hoped for much more. Also, do the push switches need to be pulsed or just held down?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!!
Ken
Old 06-02-2004, 09:55 PM
Tired Old Man

I'm only familiar with the Matchbox, but they are similar. First, read the instructions. Holding down the button will let the unit make large adjustments faster. Pulsing the button will permit small increment changes.

You should have the same amount of starting travel on the servos with the unit as you do without it. I believe that just like your transmitter travel adjust, you can dial your travel down to zero if needed. Just make certain that you do it on the right servo. Now, read the directions
Old 06-02-2004, 10:15 PM
km6tj

Thanks, read 'em before I hooked them up, during and after. They are pretty cryptic... I thought I might get similar throws like when setting ATV at best, or sub trim at least, but the travel extremely slight. The reason I asked about holding the switch down or pulsing it is because there is no visible difference. In other words, you don't see the servo "driving", like you would when setting up a new installation with the transmitter settings.

Ken