Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Will Futaba wake up?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2004, 07:01 PM
Forgues Research
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: uhmm

ORIGINAL: andyt

In the UK a 12 channel Mpx with programming that most of you can only dream of, channel checking, scanners etc costs just 60% of the price of the 8+1 channel 9Z. That shows that the better radios can be made and sold for a profit at far lower price than Futaba is charging, most of the price of the 9Z is because Futaba and JR operate a duopoly in the USA, Japan and the UK. They charge those prices just because most of you don't recognise that there is any competition

So How come they (Multiplex) were broke and HAD to be bought out by a Far East company.

Who said they were broke, the Multiplex owner wanted to retire and sold the business.

Roger
Old 06-13-2004, 07:05 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

@@@
Old 06-13-2004, 07:06 PM
Forgues Research

One of their distributors at Joe Nall hence the long time to ramp up production as they had pretty much shut down.
Well, not true, I was dealing directly with Hibermann in Germany and this is not what happened.

Roger
Old 06-13-2004, 07:14 PM
Panzlflyer

They seemed to believe it and Im sure I was not the only one told that.
Then why exactly are they unable to supply anything or are they always on holiday?
It was a serious issue as I was so close to geting an Evo but not being able to get one after a year doesnt seem normal.
Seems like they are missing quite a few sales.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:13 PM
Forgues Research

They seemed to believe it and Im sure I was not the only one told that.
Then why exactly are they unable to supply anything or are they always on holiday?
It was a serious issue as I was so close to geting an Evo but not being able to get one after a year doesnt seem normal.
Seems like they are missing quite a few sales.
The European market is more important for them, and besides, when was the last time you tried to buy a Ferrari

Roger
Old 06-13-2004, 09:31 PM
Panzlflyer

I guess that was my take on it and until they fully commit to NA market I would feel left out on a limb.
Of the people down here only a very few at our club use any of the functions of any of the radios and a lot still view digital trims as dangerous so with that in mind why would Futaba/JR/Airtronics/Hitec feel the need to change? They are in it for the money not the hobby.
I cant tell you how many times Ive been laughed at for not using Ys and mixing channels instead and using more than one rate.(" That stuffs for the fancy fliers")
Old 06-13-2004, 09:52 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

If the European market means so much to them, why don't they stay there. Why try and open a market and not be able to supply product. Can cause more ill feelings than goodwill. They received my transmitter on the 19th of April. I was told I would receive a new sys module in two weeks. Now they are saying the end of June. In the mean time they received 9 and 12 transmitters in. They could have taken a module from one of them and sent it to me. Very poor customer support. I had my 9zap for 10 or 15 years. Never had to send it in for anything.
Old 06-13-2004, 10:06 PM
Panzlflyer

Thats exactly why Ive stayed with my 9Z.
Old 06-14-2004, 06:34 AM
AJF--2
My Feedback: (119)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Will Futaba wake up?

I hear a noise that sounds like liquid bouncing off of a rock(I am not about to get into this one-- only to say) Multiplex has done a dis-service to the US. I know people-- myself included---who begged, and begged, and begged for their product. Not just the EVO. I believe it is true that the European market is their first concern. That is OK-- I have been snubbed by better companies(BTW-are they marketing the BME Extreme 55 too?)
Old 06-15-2004, 02:14 PM
smolik

Yes , sure Futaba knows the RC-business , they have a long tradition as being
there and they want to be there in the future , too ; they use the global marketing strategy with a solid business plan to promote new items to a market - I would like to compare Futaba´s business policy here to Toyota.

The discussion on this thread has been a little bit typical black and white. As
an European I have had a keen eye on f.ex. MPX and Graupner radio systems, but never really caught "fire" -> being a scale modeller with the main focus
on the WW1 airplanes never needed the latest software ect. RE 9/12 is offering.

The main focus is on reliability and the feeling of the controls/the looks of the transmitter.
( have to admit, I like classic antique cars with a lot of crome on , too )

So let´s wait for a 15 C -- they have it but they first make a profit selling
9c´s and 7 C´s

someone likes the daughter, someone else the mother ...

[8D] smolik
Old 06-15-2004, 03:38 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Harry, do you run Linux on your computer? It's a lot like Linux vs. Microsoft. Microsoft controls 90% of the computer market, but Linux, a far far far far far far superior OS system just absolutely kills Microsoft, in fact, its making a bigger impact. Red Hat Linux 9.0. Linux runs and controls more businesses then Microsoft even though Microsoft is a huge corporation.

Microsoft will always be here, and 90% of the people won't go through the trouble to parition a hard drive and learn it. Even though it never crashes and getting hacked is virtually non existent.

Simplicity over complexity and bleeding edge technology
Old 06-15-2004, 05:51 PM
Panzlflyer

Well thats a matter of opinion 2.
Linux has its place just not for everyday users.
I deploy both.
Old 06-15-2004, 07:24 PM
mulligan

yeah, it's true...

Linux is better than Windows
WordPerfect is better than Word
Primavera is better than Project
Quicken is better than Money

...and Multiplex may be better than Futaba.

but wadaya gonna do? Fight, fight, fight... or just give up, bend over, and take it up the tailpipe.

sorry for that pathetic rant, but I get depressed when I think of some of the ills of capitalism.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:20 PM
Shortman
My Feedback: (21)

Well, the only advantage Windows has is its already installed on your computer, sad thing is people pay hundreds if not thousands of dollars for programs that Linux comes with for free. Your right thought, you can't fight it, just show people the other options and let them try it out.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:16 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: HarryC
Who is still the only brand whose Tx checks that the frequency is clear before it turns on the RF unit? Who is still the only brand with full band scanners in their Tx?

The Tracker II by Polk's checks the the frequency before it transmitts any RF...........also has a built in scanner AND is frequency synth. All this for under $300...............

Jackjet
Old 06-21-2004, 02:09 PM
jtholley03
My Feedback: (4)

Nice to see the Multiplex guys stepping up.

Funny how someone will pay so much more for so much less.
Old 12-24-2004, 10:46 AM
Allie33

The flaw is that if you, such as I, have perfectly good PCM receicers they will not be usable. Strictly a personal thing!

Sorry it took so long to reply.

Allie33
ORIGINAL: HarryC

How is that a flaw? What do you use PCM for? Failsafe. Multiplex does failsafe in PPM. Multiplex was the first to use PCM in a model radio, before Futaba or JR. Now they are the first to ditch it. Multiplex failsafe works with any brand, whereas Futaba and JR failsafe only work with their brand. Multiplex failsafe is cheaper. PPM has faster refresh than the PCM. Sounds like PCM is the flaw.

H
Old 12-24-2004, 11:42 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now that the radio is finally here, does anyone else share my belief that they (Futaba) went, well... a bit overboard?

I mean, good grief. How many of you are going to drop over two grand on this? I realize they need to recoup R&D costs, etc., etc. But TWO GRAND + for a transmitter and one receiver?

Before anyone gets bent out of shape, I am NOT:

1. Questioning the need for the new technology
2. Scoffing at the new technology
3. Bashing the new technology
4. Etc., etc....

Sorry, but I went through all of that nonsense on another forum. Just wanted to be sure I didn't get anyone's knickers in a twist this time.

No, what I'm talking about is simple economics. These big firms pay big money for studies that show just how much Joe Average Hobbyist is willing to pay for a given item. Its like that magic $19.99 price point on "quality" Ronco, etc., junk on the TV ads.

Anyway, I suppose Futaba isn't too concerned about it. I guess they're saying, "Here it is. Buy it if you want it."
Old 12-24-2004, 03:57 PM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: oops

Backing up individual model memories has ben possible for over 10 years with the MC 3030 and more laterly the MC4000. It is only on the Royal Evo that the memory system is all or nothing.
Regards,

John.
ORIGINAL: Highflight-RCU

Programming from a PC sounds fun, but would be totally impractical.
Sure, you can make "assignments", but you'd be doubling your time spent setting up a model because you would have to revist every one of those assignments to adjust the parameters of each of the channels because there is no way, without the model turned on and operating, that you can make proper adjustments without actually seeing the affect of the adjustment.

The only thing I would like to see (with MPX, anyway), would be the ability to back up individual model set-ups. However, I understand how that's not possible because of the Global nature of the mixes. So I'm good with how it works as is as long as they don't mess with the incredibly simple AND capable programming.

Highflight
Old 12-26-2004, 01:19 AM
bikz

mean, good grief. How many of you are going to drop over two grand on this? I realize they need to recoup R&D costs, etc., etc. But TWO GRAND + for a transmitter and one receiver?
well it all depends on what the flyer wants.....if he wants the best then he has to fork out that muchof money cause thats what he gets.....if he does not want that "much of technology" then go get the 7C or the 9C.......there are guys splashing thousands on jets and "mega" large models........2 grand ain't that much to them........the average Joe does not need it then if he can't afford it.......applies from anything from clothings, cars to Rc planes!!!!!!!!
Old 12-26-2004, 02:11 AM
Lynx

If the technology was what you were actually paying for the 14mz would only cost 500 dollars, cause that's all the technology that it encompases costs. It's the abusrd markup that Futaba makes that's the problem.