Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Electric HT wires interference with RC signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2004, 08:05 AM
freeflyer99

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric HT wires interference with RC signal

Hi folks,

[&o]Yesterday my plane crashed because the it lost the radio signal. After checking all the bits and parts, I found all servos working except gears broken on two. Receiver is in good condition thanks to the padding. Battery showing good charge and all leads in good condition. The only question comes up as my plane was close to 440 KV HT wires there may be interference from them and I lost radio signal. I have Futaba 7ca radio and receiver 127DF in plane.

Can some one tell me how much these Electric HT cables do interfere in radio signals. Our flying field is just 1-1/2 km away from these HT wires.

Thanks,
IK
Old 06-12-2004, 10:39 AM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Electric HT wires interference with RC signal

I kind of doubt that it was the cause. I mile away (1.6 km) is a long distance for the high voltage electromagnetic field to reach. It simply can't reach that far. Now 50 feet, maybe.
Old 06-12-2004, 01:46 PM
olivier

Hi,

Our clubfield is located at a minimum measured distance of 220 yard (198 meter exactly measured by our national aeronautical authority).
We fly at that location since about 10 years now. Even for non-explained crashes the HT-lines have never been accused of being the cause.
But that's on our location...
Olivier
Old 06-12-2004, 03:16 PM
laryboy
My Feedback: (2)

i have never heard of any kind of transmission wire causing interference on an fm radio, am radio ,yes
Old 06-12-2004, 03:42 PM
XJet
Banned

A faulty insulator on an HT line can produce tracking, a phenomenon that procuces large amounts of RF noise that could radiate quite a distance. This noise is not frequency specific however so if you are planning on flying near any power lines it pays to take a regular portable AM/FM radio and listen for any unexpected buzzing or crackling before flying.

However, providing there is no fault with the insulators, power lines (even high-tension ones) shouldn't create any problems unless you're flying within 100-200m of them.
Old 06-12-2004, 04:45 PM
laryboy

why dont you turn the car radio on. you wont hear any thing on fm
Old 06-12-2004, 05:09 PM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The dry lake I fly at has high voltage transmission lines on one side. I have flown as close as 50 meters with no problems. They are so close, a crackling can be heard clearly.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:38 PM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XJet is right about arcing from faulty insulators. I had a neighbor who's electric fence was causing havoc in my house. TV and shortwave radio was going nuts with zaps every second. I luckily saw the arc one night. The neighbor was cool about us fixing it together. I suppose high voltage lines could do the same thing across a broad band.
Old 06-13-2004, 01:36 AM
freeflyer99

Well my plane was close to HT wires when I lost the control and suddenly it went in very fast roll. I did every thing to control it but plane was not responding. The crash site was on the other side of wires that is why HT wire interference with radio signal came to my mind. I was talking to another club member and he told me there have been cases of interferences but no one has been able to pin point the source. There is also army garrison near by some say their radios cause interference. Any way plane is already lost I just wanted to do analysis what went wrong and try to be careful next time.

IK
Old 06-13-2004, 07:46 AM
laryboy

after careful analysis........gremlins
Old 06-13-2004, 11:43 AM
TimC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: freeflyer99

The crash site was on the other side of wires that is why HT wire interference with radio signal came to my mind.

IK
IK, it could well be that when the wires were between your transmitter and the reciever, it interfered with the signal. I wouldn't do that again.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

HT wires WILL cause RF problems if you fly too close to them. I have a 765,000 volt AC line close by and you can turn on your radio and the servos will dance like crazy if you are within 50 feet of it. Park your car under them - get out and try to get back in - you will get a VERY nasty shock from induction. So stay away from them.

Jackjet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt57960.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	145533