Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Is it possible for a defective servo to cause a receiver to go defective?

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Is it possible for a defective servo to cause a receiver to go defective?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 08:16 PM
Blackie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible for a defective servo to cause a receiver to go defective?

Just purchased a servo from servo city, the HS645 MG, it was found to be defective. It started acting erratic so I unpluged it from the reciver, now the reciver is acting crazy. The reciver was just swapped out of a working plane as it offered more channels that I needed.

I grabbed another reciver from other plane that also offered 8 channels and its working fine, I pluged the defective servo into it and it started acting crazy but it seems to work ok after. The orignal reciver is not responding correctly on a few channels after unplugging the servo.

Thanks
Blackie
Old 06-17-2004, 12:40 AM
JohnMac

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Is it possible for a defective servo to cause a receiver to go defective?

Yes in theory. I have never heard of it happening but if the servo put a dead short on the rx it could cook a few output components or even burn off the track from the board. you could sniff the Reciever, burnt electronics have a distinct smell, quite unmistakeable.
You could take the top off and have a look. If something is burnt it may be quite obvious.
If so I would be asking the manufacturer for a new Rx as well as a new servo.
Regards,

John.
Old 06-17-2004, 01:31 AM
Tired Old Man
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Is it possible for a defective servo to cause a receiver to go defective?

Good Luck!
Old 06-17-2004, 08:05 AM
Blackie

After further testing it appears that the receiver may be ok, all channels are working except channel 8. I placed it in another plane but heres the problem I'm having.

The receiver is the HFD 08RD also known as the RCD 3500 it was my understanding that this was an 8 channel receiver but yet the supposed 8 channel is the only one not working, it reads in very small red letters (hard to make out) I believe B/8?

The radio used is the 9C mixing split elevators using channels 2/8. As far as the defective servo, after handling it I found the casing to be quite warm.

Anyone know if this is an 8 channel reciever?

Thanks
Blackie
Old 06-17-2004, 09:11 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The RCD 3500 RX is an 8-channel unit. There is no dedicated channel slot for the battery with this RX -- most users use the 8th slot. You can insert your battery in any available slot. Since you need to use channel 8 for your split elevators you can insert the battery in the channel 5 slot. If you have a real complex airplane and need all 8 channels, you can Y-connect your battery with any of the servos.
Old 06-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Blackie

Yes I was aware of battery placement, I was just concerned of the receivers condition. I'll do more testing this eve, but I had the battery in channel 5 with both elevators in 2/8, only #2 worked.

Checked to make sure I was on the correct model and was, setting are mixed to refect a duel elevator servo setting.

Edit in

Was unaware of the Y connect, thanks I'll keep this in mind for future applications if need be.

Blackie
Old 06-17-2004, 10:20 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgive if this is redundant for you.

With the 9C you can activate the AILEVATOR function and it automatically mixes channel 8 with channel 2 with one reversed from the other. You must, however, activate it, i.e., change INH to ACT. Then make sure the airlon mixing is set to 0%.
Old 06-17-2004, 10:30 AM
Blackie

Oh no jim, not at all, thats why I stated the line "mixed to refect the duel evelator servo setting"