RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

27.255 AM Freq

Old 06-19-2004, 03:26 PM
dhillfolk
My Feedback: (195)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 27.255 AM Freq

I just purchased an elec powered glider w/ a 2ch TX & RX on 27.255 AM.
Knowing this is "THE" CB freq across the nation & I will be flying it near a busy interstate highway, I took the glider to a friend who has a CB TX .and as he flipped thru the channels & I stood out side below the antenna, the rud & elev danced considerably.
Can anyone who knows about this give me some input as to this situation, IE, should I try to get different crystals, should the manufacturer be selling this on US RC aircraft, is my concern about getting hit real ??
The dealer person who sold me this is also trying to find out from the company who distributes the product.
Thks ahead for your comments
Bob
Old 06-19-2004, 08:21 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 27.255 AM Freq

ORIGINAL: dhillfolk

I just purchased an elec powered glider w/ a 2ch TX & RX on 27.255 AM.
Knowing this is "THE" CB freq across the nation & I will be flying it near a busy interstate highway, I took the glider to a friend who has a CB TX .and as he flipped thru the channels & I stood out side below the antenna, the rud & elev danced considerably.
Can anyone who knows about this give me some input as to this situation, IE, should I try to get different crystals, should the manufacturer be selling this on US RC aircraft, is my concern about getting hit real ??
The dealer person who sold me this is also trying to find out from the company who distributes the product.
Thks ahead for your comments
Bob
27.255 MHz is a legal R/C frequency. However, it is shared with CB channel 23. It is the only R/C Frequency that is shared. It is the very first Radio control frequency from the early 50's and you can run 25 watts of power on it for R/C. The other 11 meter frequencies are 26.995, 27.045, 27.095, 27.145 and 27.195 and are limited to 5 watts.
CB activity is down a lot these days from where it was during the engery crunch of the 70's. I would not feel comfortable flying the plane you have on 27.255 but would on one of the other frequencies other than 27.195 because of its nearest to CB channel 19.

Ask your friend how often he uses channel 23. Also ask what channel is the heaviest used, probably channel 19.
Old 06-20-2004, 07:13 AM
dhillfolk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dan,
Thks for your comments.
From the literature w/ the glider, the other freq crystals are available which I have inquired about from the company however I've gotten no response to my concern or the availability of alternate crystals.
All of the e-mail addresses w/ the glider info were invalid & I had to call the company in Calif to get an e-mail address for service.
50 yrs ago I flew a Debolt Live Wire trainer w/ a Lorenz RX & a TX my father built on 27.255---a new freq at that time which erupted into the CB explosion.
Old 06-20-2004, 06:50 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: dhillfolk

50 yrs ago I flew a Debolt Live Wire trainer w/ a Lorenz RX & a TX my father built on 27.255---a new freq at that time which erupted into the CB explosion.
Bob,

FYI, the old designs are still being flown. Mr. Debolt is still with us and resides in Florida. His Champ is the chosen design this year by the Vintage Radio Control Society (VRCS).
If you are interested in the VRCS there is a web site at http://www.vintagercsociety.org/
We also have a Yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/VRCS/
We build and fly the old designs that were before 1970. It is a lot of fun and you get to fly those planes you wanted to back then. The next meet is at Endicott, NY on Labor day weekend.
Old 06-20-2004, 09:04 PM
dhillfolk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Dan,
Thats very interesting----I'm 20 min from Endicott, just east of Binghamton-----I will check out the sites you suggested & hopefully the meet info will be there.
Regards
Bob