Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Range Test question

Old 06-30-2004, 12:34 PM
ke5in

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Range Test question

Hi,

When I do a range test I have someone continuously work the controls with the model about 100 feet away from the Tx. I watch for smooth motion of all the control surfaces. That’s all fine. However, I’ve notice that when the helper is not working the controls at all I can hear the servos “buzzing” a little like they are moving (or want to move). The sound is nearly similar to when a servo is moving but nothing actually moves. It is a pretty constant sound but there is no movment. Also, this sound is different from the “grinding” you would hear when there were some kind of binding. I’m not sure what to make of it. Is this normal or should they be absolutely silent (with an occasional jitter) at 100 feet?

Thanks
Old 06-30-2004, 12:43 PM
danny03

Default RE: Range Test question

what kind of servos are you using? I have a set of JR ds811's in my sig SE and they will buzz for a short time on a fully charged battery. But after the first flight the buzzing goes away. I also have never had a noticeable glitch or loss of control on this plane.
Old 06-30-2004, 12:52 PM
ke5in

Default RE: Range Test question

FMA Direct PS20's. No buzzing when the Rx is within 75 feet or less of the Tx. (I never checked when the battery was not at or near full charge but I will the next time I get a chance.)

(Tx: Futaba 9C, Rx: FMA Quantum 8 Channel)