RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Newbie pulled newbie stunt, asking newbie question

Old 06-27-2004, 10:25 PM
aaronford

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Newbie pulled newbie stunt, asking newbie question

I was assembling my first R/C A/C and accidentally removed the last 6 inches of antennae wire. This was done by pinching it in the rudder mounting screws. What will this do? I am a pretty fair hand at a soldering iron, can it be fixed? Will it loose any range? The airplane is a Toytronix T-hawk. Thanks in Advance Aaron
Old 06-27-2004, 10:34 PM
JB Rekit
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Newbie pulled newbie stunt, asking newbie question

You need to get a new antenna and attatch it inside the rx. The length is very important and you don't want a splice in it.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:41 PM
aaronford

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ouch... How do you get this site to perform a search? I have tried and I seem to get Search: All words By: All Authors, and I see everything from Nitro to A/C. What gives? BTW, gonna call RTFun tomorrow to see if they can help. Thanks for the tip.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:15 AM
Phil Cole

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Actually, an antenna is just a piece of wire.

If you are confident in your soldering, then you can join the pieces. The half inch or less of length that you will lose will make no difference. Just support the wire with some heatshrink so it doesn't break due to vibration, etc at the ends of where the solder wicked up the wire.

From the name of the model, it sounds like a park flyer. If this is the case, you won't be flying it far enough from the transmitter to cause problems if you just leave the antenna six inches short. At the worst, you could expect a few percent (as in 1% to 2%) reduction in range.

RC receivers are designed with low impedance inputs so that the front end tuning is not significantly affected by the antenna. If they were designed so the antenna length was critical, then all the installations with bends in antenna wire, differring ground impedance due to servo wire layout, pull-pull control wires, etc. would be out of tune and not work.
Old 06-28-2004, 12:09 PM
Mike in DC

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Phil, I'm not a electronics wizard, but what you say makes sense. Obviously there are many installations where antenna wires make right angle bends, or loop back on themselves for a few inches, and planes aren't falling out of the sky because of it. My question is, how can we erradicate the myth (maybe even "conventional wisdom"), that cutting 1/2" off an antenna drastically reduces the reception? I've even read posts that said that even if the length is perfect, just having a solder joint in the wire will detune the antenna with disasterous effect. Most people aren't qualified or have the equipment to solder a printed circuit board, yet, that's the recommendation you see here frequently.
Old 06-30-2004, 01:24 AM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

FWIW, I stepped on my antenna on my UCD about 3 weeks ago. Broke it in half almost. I soldered it back together(you need to have a QUALITY solder joint here) and used shrink wrap. Range check was identical, and I got the plane a good distance away up in the air, farther than I ever take it, and had no problems with range.