RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Jammed Tx

Old 07-24-2003, 10:03 PM
LouW

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Jammed Tx

I had an interesting problem occur when I was flying today. I retarded the throttle and when I tried to apply power, the lever wouldn't move out of the idle position. I made a dead stick approach and landed with the engine at idle. When I got back to the shop, and opened the case I found that the shaft for the rudder channel had worked its way out far enough to jam on the gimble and prevent the throttle lever from moving. The Tx is a HiTech and has been in use about four years. I drove the shaft back into place and it seems tight. I will continue to use it but will check it from time to time to see if it has moved. A similar thing could happen on the elevator channel but only at full deflection. The mechanism is such that it can't occur on the aileron or rudder channel. For all of the sophisticated electronics and batteries in our equpiment, the mechanical stuff is still pretty primative.