Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 652 Dead???

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 10:38 AM
rdemy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JR 652 Dead???

Hi all,

What to do?

My JR 652 was working, I made some adjustments to the programming and figured I'd charge it up to go fly yesterday afternoon.

When I pushed the plug in I noticed it momentarily felt a little tougher to go in but nothing major and I did not force it.

The charger light didn't go on. I unplugged it from the wall and again - nothing.

I tested the battery through the radio jack and it was dead. Never saw that before. I took the battery out and it was fine, reading 9.9 volts.

Whats wrong? Can my local hobby shop fix it, or is this a repair by JR?

Thanks for any input.

RD :-)
Old 07-15-2002, 11:08 AM
gone.

Default JR

Hey RD I doubt that a local hobby shop could fix it but I bet Horizon can fix it. Great folks to deal with too. My one and only JR got plugged into an Airtronics charger and blew a diode and the lithium battery. Cost me 35 buckaroos or so to get it fixed. I want to get rid of it because of the fact they make the outer post positive when everybody else is positive on the center post. Had thought about changing over to JR but have too many good Airtronics radios. Now Airtronics has made their stuff compatible with the others.
Old 07-15-2002, 11:21 AM
IronicRcAv8r
My Feedback: (21)

Default JR 652 Dead???

Buddy of mine had same problem and it was just the fuse. Have to take the back of the radio off and small 4 amp fuse if I remember correctly.
Old 07-15-2002, 12:16 PM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default JR 652 dead

Sound like you just blew the fuse as above mentioned. But I don't think it is a 4 amp fuse more like a 1 amp. Be careful so as not to distort the fuse holder when removing and reinstalling the fuse. Check the fuse holder contact point before reinstalling the back cover.
I always fly JR and I like them however I do not know why the engineers there reversed the polarity of the charging connection. I know of no sound reason for this design. I do not know of any other electronic design done this way. I think some at JR had their head up their rear too far when they thought of this one. Can anyone at JR. give us some good sound reasoning for this design?
Lee
Old 07-15-2002, 02:44 PM
thomasb

Default JR 652 Dead???

You blew the internal fuse. It is 3 amp. Remove the back cover and replace it (Radio Shack has them).

Make sure that the Tx's charge jack did not get damaged (look into its little hole to see if the center pin is straight). If you are using a charger that is not the one that came with the JR system then double check the polarity. JR is negative on the plug's center, which is opposite Futaba, Hitec, and Airtronics.
Old 07-15-2002, 03:39 PM
rdemy

Default JR 652 Dead???

Thanks all,

Sounds like a fuse...

I'll take it out carefully and get a replacement at Radio Shack...

RD :-)

PS - doesn't everyone know JR has there jack polarity opposite to everyone else's? They should!
Old 07-15-2002, 07:46 PM
larryflew
My Feedback: (13)

Default 3 amp

It's 3 amp and if rumors are correct, JR was one of the first to use rechargable batteries so they may be the only ones out there that had it right EVERYONE else must then be wrong.
Old 07-15-2002, 08:27 PM
thomasb

Default JR 652 Dead???

...if rumors are correct, JR was one of the first to use rechargeable batteries
Actually, I saw my first rechargeable Tx back in the 1960's (Orbit, I believe). But, I'll bet JR was the first to use the common 5.5mm coaxial DC power plug for charging.

Funny thing, a lot of Japanese firms used to make electronic gadgetry that was using negative polarity on the tip of these sorts of jacks. Slowly they have all moved to the Plus polarity that is used today. It appears that JR is stuck in a retro-period. Too bad.

PS - doesn't everyone know JR has there jack polarity opposite to everyone else's? They should!
Nope, this Tx charge plug polarity issue is a popular topic and still causes confusion on a daily basis. It will continue that way long after we all are accepted into hobby heaven.