Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Gas Type Engine Radio Interference

Old 07-08-2004, 02:14 PM
Marcos_Nieto

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Type Engine Radio Interference

Hi guys.................I´ve been reading all post I can about radio interference caused by magneto type gas engines. There is a special issue to engine push rods... Is it true that all push rods to engine and/or kill switch should be plastic, avoiding using metal ?? If so, what consequences should someone expect when using metal push rods??
Also what should be a safe distance between radio equipment, servos, receiver, etc. and the engine/kill switch??

Thanks

Marcos
Old 07-08-2004, 03:06 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: Gas Type Engine Radio Interference

There is no problem using metal push rods as long as it is isolated from the engine with a plastic link and is not allowed to make contact with the engine in any way.
Just keep all of the ignition components as far as you can from the radio equipment within the confines of your airplane.
Make sure you use a resistor spark plug if you can. If not you will have to have a shielded ignition system. If you don't have a shielded or suppressed ignition system putting the radio in the tail and using a plastic throttle push rod won't helo you.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:48 PM
Marcos_Nieto

Hi Richard....Thanks for your info. Can you tell me what is a shielded or suppressed ig. system?? How do I know if mine is a resistor spark plug?? I´m using a Quadra 42 with a s. plug NGK R BP M 7A.

Thanks

Marcos
Old 07-08-2004, 04:14 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the "R" in your plugs part number identifies it as a resistor plug.

a shielded ignition will have a metal plug cap and braided metal sheath over the plug wire, both connected to ground. these are normally used for smaller 10mm plugs that aren't available with resistor

dave