RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Crystals

Old 07-13-2004, 09:14 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Crystals

I am about to purchase my first radio and I need to know if flying alone, in the choice of frequency, is there any reason to pick a certain channel one over any of the others?

Thanks
Old 07-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Montague

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Crystals

Nope. If you're flying by yourself, it doesn't matter.

Unless... some areas have commerical transmitters (pager systems, usually, but there are others) that operate between our 72Mhz channels. If you are close to them, it can cause interference on one or two channels. You'll want to avoid those.

How do you know if one is near by? Well, ask other pilots in your area if there are "known bad" channels. That's about all you can do.

Of course, always perform a range check with a new system or after changes to your radio installation, espeically something like changing channels.
Old 07-14-2004, 10:55 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No, on a national basis there is no specific channels or area of the band to avoid. On a local basis however its a different matter. There are commonly frequencys that must be avoided from site to site. There are commercial (read paid lisencees) between all the hobby channels. They are 'primary users' we are 'secondary users' which means if a conflict arises we must cease and desist.

The only way going it alone to know if a problem channel exist is if you purchase a scanner, starting at around $200. Any club or organized field will know of local problem channels. Just another reason among many that going it alone is almost always detrimental to your wallet as well as your goals and dreams.

John
Old 01-10-2005, 02:29 PM
AgCat1982

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I accidentally found this post and I failed to respond to you guys when I meant to. Thanks, a little late, for responding.

I am in the country most of the time and there are no transmitters near where I fly.

Thanks again.