Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New computer radio

Old 08-04-2003, 08:58 AM
Claytonj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New computer radio

Hello everyone I just found this site and I like it! I've been into RC for many years but I've been out of touch with it for several years. I'm getting back into it and I'm trying to find a good computer radio that's not to expensive. I'm looking for a radio with at least 7 channels. I'd like for it to be my main radio cuz I have a Super Skybolt kit that's unbuilt which I will be working on soon and I'm looking at getting an ultra stick 40 within the next few weeks. I've looked at the JR x-378 & 8103 but I've also looked at the Futaba 9 CAP. I'm on a bit of a budget so I'm leaning toward the JR x-378. I'd like to get some input from you guys.

Thanks,
Clayton
Old 08-04-2003, 10:09 AM
daveopam
My Feedback: (9)

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three. The 9cap has a few more bells and whistles. Like triple rates on AILE and ELEV and EXPO on the rudder. The 9cap also has digital trims. I don't know for sure if the JRs
have this. I think it boils down to a personal choice. If I was you I would find them all in stock someplace and
handle them. Some just feel better in your hands than others. later daveo
Old 08-04-2003, 01:40 PM
ballgunner
My Feedback: (1)

If budget is a consideration look at the latest ads for Futaba. They have a new computer radio that Tower sells for less than $200. I doesn't fit your criteria for 7 channels it's just a 6 with 6 model memory. I have a Futaba T6XA that sort of fits the same description and it is quite satisfactory. Over half the pilots at our field use the T6XA but we are not, as a group into much 3D. The few that are use the 8UAP. Any of the major manufacturers seven to nine channel radios are bound to be good. Electronics have advanced so far from the rubber band escapements and reeds and tubes that it is hard to find a maker who doesn't have something for everyone.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Claytonj

I found a Futaba 8U that I'm trying to get. We'll see what happens.
Thanks for the input guys.
Old 08-05-2003, 02:43 PM
Claytonj

OK I picked up that 8U PCM. I've seen post on the forums about a setup guide for the 8U and Ultra Stick. I must be looking in the wrong place because I can't find any FAQ. Can someone point me in the right direction?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:29 PM
CrashGaalaas
My Feedback: (8)

UltraStick Manual

Has a programming guide for the Ultra Stick and 8U radios
Old 08-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Claytonj

I have that but it instructs you to use GLID mode. I understand that to limit the functionality. See this thread

I understood this to be another FAQ out there....

I found one of Futaba's site. If anyone else has one better let me know. Thanks......
Old 09-23-2003, 04:23 PM
ddickens

Default RE: New computer radio

I am in the same boat as you...just getting back into the hobby. I have ordered the Ultra Stick 40 that should arrive this week. I still need to get a radio. I am leaning towards the JR. Any reason why you went with the Futaba over the JR?
Old 09-23-2003, 05:26 PM
Claytonj

I went with the Futaba mainly for the reason I had futaba servos already and I found this radio on ebay which had never been used for 280. I was leaning toward the JR but the deal was too good to pass up.
Old 09-23-2003, 06:30 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Claytonj,

Go to Futaba's website and under the FAQ for the 8u. Entry 15 under "Airplane Programming" is how I set up my Ultra Stick 60 with my 8u Super radio. Good luck!
Old 09-23-2003, 10:48 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too was able to setup my US 40 and WM FunWorld 3D using my 8U Super without having to resort to glider mode.

Here is a link to the instructions Pauly mentioned above...

http://www.futaba-rc.com/faq/faq-8u-q177.html

These are the settings that I started with...