Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Any one running 6.0V? Is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2002, 01:52 PM
George E.
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one running 6.0V? Is it worth it?

I was thinking of getting some 5 cell packs for my fun fly planes to speed up the standard BB servos (Hitec 425's and Futaba 148's).

Anyone running a 5 cell pack?? Do you notice a speed difference?

Do I need a regulator???

Thanks
George
Old 07-17-2002, 02:06 PM
Alastair

You probably won't notice the difference in servo speed. The only reason I use 6.0v in some plane is to get extra torque in something like a 60 size plane. Also, on most chargers you have to remember to switch them over to 6v or they won't charge the battery properly.
Old 07-17-2002, 02:33 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Any one running 6.0V? Is it worth it?

Originally posted by geoharry
Anyone running a 5 cell pack?? Do you notice a speed difference?

Do I need a regulator???

I run 5 cell packs on my giant scale aircraft and my jets. There is a speed difference, but its so small that I can hardly notice (I'm using high-speed servos anyway).

As for the regulator - YES - use one. Don't be misled by the fact that many people talk about a 5 cell pack as a "6v pack" - the voltage from a 5 cell pack can be MUCH higher than that. I found that a freshly cycled 5 cell nicad pack gave me 7.4 volts. That's considerably higher than the voltage that some servos, gyros etc are gauranteed to work at.

Regs,
Gordon
Old 07-17-2002, 02:56 PM
Alastair

I think it depends on the type of servos. I don't use a regulator with my 5 cell packs and don't have any problems, but O am using standard Futaba servos, I don't know how it might effect a larger servo. I would definitely use one on digital servos, but I don't own any and neither do most people.
Old 07-17-2002, 07:11 PM
Geistware

I run 6 volts and I find that I don't have to recharge nearly as often as I have done in the past. I fly a 1/4 scale plane with 2 1300 maH packs
Old 07-17-2002, 07:18 PM
Gordon Mc
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Geistware
I run 6 volts and I find that I don't have to recharge nearly as often as I have done in the past. I fly a 1/4 scale plane with 2 1300 maH packs
Umm ... what capacity and number of 4 cell packs were you running previously ? In other words, is your reduced need to rechange caused by running 2 packs instead of 1, or running 1300 mah packs where you previously ran smaller capacity packs ??

The reason I ask, is that for the same capacity and same number of packs, increased voltage to the RX and servos should result in increased current draw. It's simply an application of Ohms law... I = V/R, so as V goes up (and R stays constant), I goes up.

Gordon
Old 02-16-2003, 09:35 PM
Geistware

I was using two 1300maH NiCad packs.
What I understand is that the smaller high capacity cells have more internal resistance.