RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How long can a servo survive.

Old 07-19-2004, 03:10 PM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default How long can a servo survive.

I have a few 40-60 size planes that are 15 or more years old, that have been dormant for several years that seen very little flight time, meaning 30 or less flights, and want to know if I should do anything to the servos in them, now that I want to start flying the models again.

All the leads and connectors are in very good condition and the servos work as they should without showing any sign of their age. I have already checked and replaced where necessary batteries, fuel systems, wheels and all fasteners etc.
Old 07-19-2004, 06:20 PM
wisdom-seeker

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: How long can a servo survive.

I would work those servos a bit before flying. Dirt can accumulate in the feedback pots and cause erratic behavior. One other concern is to be sure that your transmitter is emitting legal output. In 1991 there was a significant change in channel spacing and signal quality requirements.
Old 07-19-2004, 09:05 PM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The models have been stored in a very clean environment so there was little chance of dirt getting inside the servos, and they all work just as when they were bought.

I intend to use my Futaba 8UAF Tx, so there should be no problems regarding transmitted signal strength. My main concern is that the electronics inside the servos could be breaking down due to age and not use.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:39 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oxidation/corrosion will be just as detrimental as dirt. Take his advice and work those servos quite a bit before flying them.

I had a set of Futaba S-128s that I purchased new in 1986, that I just recently retired. They still work fine, but why tempt fate?

So, the answer to your original question is: who knows? Personally, I think that the budget servos of today aren't made as well as the ones of yesteryear, but my computer-geek brother says otherwise.

I would exercise those servos a lot, looking for dead-band and ANY irregularites. If I found none, I'd fly 'em...

Old 07-20-2004, 12:00 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fortunately most electronics age well. Electolytic capacitors and some types of insulation do, however, degrade with time. Most servos though, will weather this aging very well and will probably be as good now as when you put them away as long as they were not subjected to very high temperatures. If they work after a few cycles, I would not hesitate to use them.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:28 PM
karolh

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Will surely give them several lenghty cycles before using them . Thanks.