Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

does anyone work on ace radios anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 05:38 PM
crashawk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone work on ace radios anymore?

I have an Ace pro 810 reciever that just went bad, does anyone work on them anymore? this one has an intermentent problem, it quits working when vibrated, coming and going as it pleases. you can make it stop working and start working by tapping lightly on it. (btw, I lost my u-can-do 46 when it did it for the first time)

does anyone know if the pro 810 can use 5 cell battery pack? I used the 5 cell pack with it for some time but I'm still of the mind that maybe it burned something up inside causing the problem. any thoughts? (there are no obvious burned, melted or otherwise outwardly bad parts from too much voltage/heat)

thanks for any help.
Jason
Old 07-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Trombe
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: does anyone work on ace radios anymore?

I HIGHLY suggest getting something a little more modern.
Old 07-20-2004, 09:07 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is this the AM receiver? if so then there was a lot of info on problems with one of the caps posted on two yahoo user groups dedicated to ACE radios.

the "MP8K" group is for micropro and microstar users. the pro 810 discussions start with message #1338

the "ACERC" group is for all other ace radios but is newer and has much less info

dave
Old 07-20-2004, 10:41 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

How much did the crashed plane cost you? Get something new and more reliable. It will cost you less than the plane. Also the postage and the cost to get it fixed will be more than a new receiver. If you could find someone to fix it. Sometimes you have to let things go.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:57 PM
crashawk

thanks Dave, I'll look them up. yes it is the AM reciever, funny thing is I've had less problems with this radio and reciever than anything "More modern" I've owned, I've actually never had a glitch or taken a hit with it. all my JR and Futaba stuff have allways had a certain amount of glitchs and spots at the field that you avoided (allmost everyone at the jacomo field has had problems with one SPOT ) but this set up never had a problem with the spot or interference.

MasterSmasher, all though I apreciate your willingness to respond, you could have come up with something usefull or else left well enough alone. the micropro 8000 and the pro 810 are much better electronics than about half of the "New" stuff that shows up at the field everyday. (as in cheap radios) it was made right here in the good old U S of A by people from right around here, Tom lived down the street from me before he died. if japanese radios and chinese labor weren't so cheap the Ace line would probably still be in manufacture today. (much of their charging stuff is still being made) I heard a rumor once that rcd recievers where a copy of the pro 810, not sure how right that is but the component set up looks alot alike. so buddy, if you don't like me flying my Ace radio, tuff! it's legal and as modern as it gets (unless you have big bucks to spend). so[sm=bananahead.gif]

Jason
Old 07-20-2004, 11:05 PM
crashawk

Oh yeah, the little guy in my avatar got his neck stretched in the crash, but he didn't drop his cigar.

Jason
Old 07-20-2004, 11:09 PM
crashawk

rhd, I've lost more planes to those new and more reliable radios than to this micropro. go figure.

Jason
Old 07-20-2004, 11:30 PM
robd347

Crashawk:

Try these websites. www.dnmelectronics.com or www.jensenjetmodels.com, they still repair ACE equipment. I too owh two ACE MP8K"s and never had any problems with them. The other brands are just catching up to the ACE radios, have it repaired and keep flying it.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:32 AM
ZAGNUT

the link to jensen is a good one! marv bought out all the ace radio parts and tooling when they dropped the line. his site hasn't been updated to show it but he is also reproducing the FMA replacement FM RF deck for ace radios. this is the exact same design as the old RF deck but with SMD construction, excellent choice if you decide to start using "modern" fm receivers...

he is also a very active member in the MP8K user group

dave
Old 07-21-2004, 09:52 AM
ChuckA

ORIGINAL: MasterSmasher

I HIGHLY suggest getting something a little more modern.
The only thing on the market more modern than the Micropro transmitter is the Evo. I own both and gave up on th e Asian plasctic porcupines with programs wrtitten by VCR programers. The Micropro is far superior to the Futaba, Hitec, JR, and Airtronics transmitters I have owned.
Old 07-21-2004, 09:58 AM
ZAGNUT

chuck, don't forget the microstar! not really "on the market" but still available to those who want one

dave
Old 07-21-2004, 10:32 AM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: crashawk

rhd, I've lost more planes to those new and more reliable radios than to this micropro. go figure.

Jason

I have two Micropro's myself. It is not the quality of the equipment, but its age. If it has been used a lot it has been subjected to a lot of vibration and probably a few crashes. Components change with age. I also have the newer equipment and have had no problems with it.
Old 07-21-2004, 11:44 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: crashawk

I have an Ace pro 810 reciever that just went bad, does anyone work on them anymore? this one has an intermentent problem, it quits working when vibrated, coming and going as it pleases. you can make it stop working and start working by tapping lightly on it. (btw, I lost my u-can-do 46 when it did it for the first time)

does anyone know if the pro 810 can use 5 cell battery pack? I used the 5 cell pack with it for some time but I'm still of the mind that maybe it burned something up inside causing the problem. any thoughts? (there are no obvious burned, melted or otherwise outwardly bad parts from too much voltage/heat)

thanks for any help.
Jason
Be sure its not the battery pack. In the five years I was in the repair business an intermittent problem was usually the battery pack
Old 07-21-2004, 04:07 PM
crashawk

yes I double checked the battery, it's good. I think it is the capaciter that is talked about at mp8k, I just haven't had the time to finish checking it. I plan on either sending it and my other one in and having them changed or doing it myself if it fixes the first one. none of my recievers have been used much, look brand new, the transmitter wasn't used much either. well I got to go for now, thanks for all the support guys.

Jason