Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Olympic games and r/c flying

Old 07-22-2004, 06:12 AM
stelios
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Olympic games and r/c flying

I am a modeler from Athens Greece where the Olympic Games of 2004 will take place in August.

As a result a lot of precautions will be taken by the government and NATO for the safety of the Games against potential actions of terrorism during August.

My question concerns whether I am going to face radio inteference problems because of all these safety precautions or not. I fly my models outside Athens about 30 km.

I run several Futaba PCM R136HP 6 CH receivers at 40.770 Mhz frequency. My transmitter is Futaba T6XAs computer radio.

Please give me your best advise because I don't want to loose my be-loving and expensive airplanes.

Thanks

Stelios
Old 07-22-2004, 10:00 AM
blw
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Olympic games and r/c flying

Stelios,

Here is one of the best sources for frequency info:

http://www.monitoringtimes.com/mtemail.html

You should email Larry Van Horn at: [email protected]

He is an information junkie and extremely knowledgeable. He likes to research this kind of problem, and he has millions of entries for government agencies, radios, frequencies, etc. Tell him your radio frequency and explain the problem. I've written and spoke with him often. He is very helpful to everyone. Your question is something he likes to work on. By the way, this is the page for a very good radio hobby magazine. I've subscribed for many years.

Maybe you should check out this site and leave a message about your flying worries. It is possible that someone will know and leave you more information.

Good luck. I have family in Atlanta, Georgia, and they lived through the Olympic games there. It was major confusion until the games were over. One thing about the games, the air will be saturated with all kinds of frequency use, some documented and many being mysterious transmissions. Some may be high powered. This could be a time where you may have to be safe and not fly. I don't know about your frequency band. Keep in mind that a lot of transmitters are dirty and radiate far outside of their licensed bands. It can be very unpredictable, no matter what the experts try and tell us. Also, it is common for agencies to have secret frequencies so they can't be heard by radio hobbyists.
Old 07-22-2004, 11:45 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This really isn't a Futaba-specific support question, and it can't be answered by us, so it's been moved to the general radios forum.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:43 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

with all the hysteria over security it seems like they would ban RC planes altogether during the games. of course it wouldn't stop the bad guys from using a TX but isn't that how rules and regs usually work?

dave