Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

When is it time to recharge?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2004, 02:55 PM
justahobbie
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When is it time to recharge?

Need a little help. Can't find this info anywhere.

I have a new FuntanaS 90 with 5 JR 8411 servos and 1 537 servo. I am using a 6V 1400mAH pack. I can't find current draw for these servos. I am using an expert 6V battery indicator.

After a couple flights the Expert indicator reads 1 green LED less than full. I believe the first 5 or 6 are green. I then plugged in an Expert load tester and it read 70% which is the first yellow LED out of 10 total LED's. This gives a 300mAH load.

What tools are you guys using and when should I not fly again? I bought a Hobbico Expanded Scale Voltmeter MKII but have not used it yet. Gives a load of 225-275mAH. What is the lowest "safe" votage under load or not under load?

Ahhhhhh!!!!

Thanks
Ryan

Oh-and is there a cheap way to make my own discharger for these packs? I don't have money to buy a new cycler.
Old 07-21-2004, 03:06 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: When is it time to recharge?

for a battery that big i'd use at least a 1 amp load for tests.

those LED bar graph testers are about as accurate as tongue testing a 9 volt cell is

for testing i use a digital voltmeter and a homebrew LM317 circuit with a few different buttons for different loads.

dave
Old 07-21-2004, 04:58 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't fly below 6V. At about 5.5 volts, (1.1 volt per cell) the power will drop to cut-off voltage very quickly.
Old 07-21-2004, 05:37 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

My system draws 1.8amps with 10 servos.
9 of them are digital.
I would say your system will draw 1.0 to 1.2 amps
Old 07-21-2004, 07:32 PM
Nogyro
My Feedback: (10)

ORIGINAL: justahobbie
What tools are you guys using and when should I not fly again? I bought a Hobbico Expanded Scale Voltmeter MKII but have not used it yet. Gives a load of 225-275mAH. What is the lowest "safe" votage under load or not under load?

Oh-and is there a cheap way to make my own discharger for these packs? I don't have money to buy a new cycler.
justahobbie,

I have found that the Hobbico ESV's are very inaccurate. I tested several of them and all were off up to .3 volts in either direction. I used mine for 3 years and didn't know that it was reading HIGH. Talk about luck. I've since switched to a digital volt meter and soldered a small light bulb in line for a 225 mah load. Works great and you don't have to keep switching between 4.8 volt and 6 volt packs. You'll get a lot of different opinions on what voltage to stop flying at. Best thing to do is charge your packs full, go fly three or four 15 minute flight, go home and cycle your packs and find out what your current draw is, then leave yourself a cushion.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:28 AM
justahobbie
My Feedback: (27)

Thanks guys. Info is helping out a lot. I think I'm going to return that Hobbico ESV.

I could use some more opinions. Keep em comming!

Ryan