Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Ferrite bead filters...when and where????

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 08:59 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ferrite bead filters...when and where????

Can someone describe the proper use and installation of these ferrite bead filters. I've heard a lot of flight line chat, but I'd really like to hear from someone who knows the technical end of this subject. Some guys would have them all over...like christmas decorations.....where, and under what conditions, do they really provide a benefit?
Thanks.
Jim
Old 07-23-2004, 09:22 PM
mr.rc-cam

Default RE: Ferrite bead filters...when and where????

This fellow is not impressed with the bead-donut trick: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255221
Old 07-24-2004, 09:43 AM
mglavin
My Feedback: (31)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thoughts below from someone in the know with accurate empirical testing and real world results....

I do not recommend them. Unless configured for your particular installation circumstances (there are hundreds to choose from - based on operating frequency, line length, and specific noise concerns) they are ineffective. They will however slew the O/P signal, in some cases making it difficult for the servo to respond properly due to severe edge-rounding of the signal O/P.

In every case where the ferrites were installed to deal with perceived anomolies (installed whether there were issues or not), the ferrites themselves caused communications issues that cleared up when they were removed.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:58 AM
JPMacG
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some tutorial information on the use of ferrite beads go to www.fair-rite.com

I would say avoid them unless you have a known EMI problem. Using them to prevent anticipated problems is a real shot in the dark and may introduce new problems.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:31 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mglavin is correct. They serve no usefull purpose in the way we set up RC planes other than possibly create one more place that can cause problems.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:08 PM
Capt Jim
My Feedback: (168)

Apparently, from what little I hear locally, they are being employed in an attempt to reduce ignition interference from gasoline motors, and also to protect against unwanted signals coming from other radio equipment, possibly used in heavy earth moving machinery, operating in the vicinity. Is this a realstic approach to these problems, or simply a well intentioned but misdirected application?
Thanks to all who have responded.
Jim
Old 07-27-2004, 11:12 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Capt Jim

Apparently, from what little I hear locally, they are being employed in an attempt to reduce ignition interference from gasoline motors, and also to protect against unwanted signals coming from other radio equipment, possibly used in heavy earth moving machinery, operating in the vicinity. Is this a realstic approach to these problems, or simply a well intentioned but misdirected application?
Thanks to all who have responded.
Jim
Who knows? No one seems to want to run accurate tests.
The best way to protect from ignition noise is shielding at the source.
I don't see how they could protect from outside interference unless you put them on the antenna - and that sure would not be a wise thing to do.