Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Help on radio system (newbie)

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2004, 09:57 AM
bt224

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on radio system (newbie)

Here is a copy of my post on another site.

I have been racing full size boats for years, and now have the RC bug. I found an old Fairwinds for cheap, but the only RC anything I have ever used was a cheap plastic speed boat (toy), so I know absolutely nothing. From what I have gathered, a few cheap upgrades are worth it, and I need to replace the transmitter. I was going to put a S3003 for the rudder, and am considering a S3801 for the sails. No plans to race the boat, just kick back and enjoy it.

My real question is, do I need a special transmitter for the FP-R112JE, or will any transmitter work? An old Futaba Attack looks like it will work fine, but I have no idea how to make sure what transmitter will work with this receiver.

Thanks in advance,
Billy

The response I got was from a dealer, to give him credit may be right, that I need to buy a whole system. I don't get how the servos have to be matched to the system. I can see getting a tx and rx together, just not the servos. I looked on eBay and found the servos, new, for a fraction of the retail price. What I am going for is a 2 channel Futaba system with the above listed servos. Retail averages about $115, whereas I can get everything for about $50 buying the servos separate from the tx/rx set. And I'm still not clear if I need a new rx to go with the tx. Help!
Old 07-24-2004, 10:28 AM
bt224

Default RE: Help on radio system (newbie)

?
Old 07-24-2004, 12:47 PM
Lynx

As long as the Attack is a 75mhz transmitter you're fine. (72 is for air only and would require a new receiver anyways) If the channels on the xmitter and receiver don't match get a new crystal for the receiver (changing the crystal on the TX is technically illegal) Servo's don't matter. Use whatever floating around, for sailing it's irrelevent.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:43 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Forgive me but are you looking to operate a plane or a car?
Old 07-27-2004, 11:45 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

I have a Fairwind. It is a great sailer. You won't need a sail winch servo, just get a sail servo. I use a JR xmtr, car style with steering wheel for rudder and throttle lever for sail reefing. I use a standard JR servo for rudder and a HiTech sail servo for the sail.

Rich
Old 07-27-2004, 01:11 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Ohhhh, we are talking sailboats.

Boy am I in the wrong pond.

See ya guys! I'm an airplane guy.
[:-]