RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Question on mounting FMA Co-Pilot

Old 07-27-2004, 11:21 PM
Skycam41

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Question on mounting FMA Co-Pilot

I have just taken great care to follow all the instructions on mounting the Co-Pilot sensor and I find that it "wobbles" or "rocks" somewhat on the velcro base it sits on. By pushing a little to one side it can make quite a change in the way it sits and I am concerned that once it gets blasted with air that it will alter the angle it was sitting at when on the ground thus making it non level. Any thoughts from Co-Pilot owners?
Mike
Old 08-14-2004, 03:36 AM
Yurs Truly

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Question on mounting FMA Co-Pilot

here's a tip, instead of using the velcro strip, find and cut a monokote trim a little bit larger of co pilot sensor (2x larger i say). Next is find a good double sided tape equivalent to the size of sensor. Now clean the plane's surface and the bottom surface of the sensor w/ alcohol. Attached the monokote trim on the plane then next is peel of the double sided tape both for the plane and the sensor.

Once you no longer need the copilot on the plane, just peel off the monokote trim off the plane. Another thing, if you want a really strong adhesion, just use CA glue it on the bottom sensor and glue it on the monokote trim and used a debonder later on to remove.
Old 08-16-2004, 01:43 PM
rryman
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I used velcro to attach mine and it didn't present a problem.
Randy
Old 08-18-2004, 09:03 PM
Deltageek2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am flying the Co-Pilot on a Wingo Porter twin 400 camera plane with a 2/3" CCD microboard cam and a Polaris Mw TX on 2.4 Ghz. I wanted to be able to use the Head Mounted Display I have for the downlink display- and not worry about losing control while distracted long enough to get it on and get oriented. I enjoy having the plane show some intelligence in keeping itself upright. The buddy box pilot can help also- when one is available.

I first tried it on the underside of the fuse aft of the cabin in the X config. It seemed to see the wingwires or something and didnt work as well as I liked. I set it under the nose, already low slung by the squat gear and have flown it a dozen times or more with good results. I knocked it off its velcro mount once on landing. Glad I spotted it in preflight before taking off again!

I have not yet experienced any out-of-trim condition I couldnt easily fix with trim. Even at an offset of over ten degrees in this weird spot! My site is a hole with a ridge of 50' to the North and East, fields to the S and W. I set it on its tail looking at the point where the two ridges meet at right angles (sucks for setup- nice for ridge soaring small HLGs in 2 possible wind directions!), the tail looking at the fields. It is at worst a bit noseheavy on takeoff requiring a bit of up trim to climb hands off. Acceptable. Never thought I'd use the OFFSET technique I read about in the manual. I use it every time it seems.

One thing I wanted it for was to lose the 'waggle' of the Wingo wing which is a periodic wallow. Streamlining the aft fuse helps put clean airflow over the tail the wing, as they say, is the thing. I think the wing softens and sags with the weight of those 2 motors and removes all washout, leaving the tips to work too hard- just a thought... The Co-Pilot nails it pretty well tho, smoothing it out 60 times per second- and I'm only set on 50% Sensitivity. Good luck. Good flying.
Lew
Old 11-09-2004, 08:09 PM
22john6789

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

DeltaGeek - COuld you send a picture of your WIngo-Porter CamShip, and could you give an update of your latest RPV experiences? I'm trying to figure out where to mount a CPD4 co-pilot on a Wingo,
-Dingbat22
Old 11-10-2004, 08:08 AM
T28RON
My Feedback: (32)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Can anyone tell me the Differance between a copilot and gyro. I want to put one on my Cap 232 1/5 scale. I want to try it, then when feel confident will remove . I want to learn 3D but at the field I fly at there is no on to teach. Thanks.