RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Airtronics Buddy Box

Old 07-29-2004, 08:43 PM
heli.novice@gmail.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Airtronics Buddy Box

We have a training program in our local club, and someone has recently come to use with an Airtronics setup. We have an Airtronics buddy box and cord that were donated by a local hobby shop, but most of us fly Futaba or Hitec (and a few that fly JR, but none that fly Airtronics) so the first time we plugged in the box and it didn't work none of us knew what might be the problem. The master can control the plane with the cord plugged into only it, but as soon as we plug the other end into the slave, all control is lost from both the master and slave. The buddy box is a VG-400. I didn't get the number on the master, but it looked like a mid-range (possibly 6 channel) computer radio. I have looked around for pin outs etc. but nothing has helped much. One pin-out I found listed the pins in this order from left to right 1,4,2,5,3. I checked the cord for continuity; pins 2,5, and three seem to go straight through. 1 and 4 are crossed. The same page lists 4 as +V switched and 1 as "??" (Sounds like a V input on the trainer box)

Does anyone have any ideas about this?
Old 07-29-2004, 09:48 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Airtronics Buddy Box

I believe the VG400 is compatible with the VG400/600, RD6000/8000 series. There are a few others it works with too, but can't remember which they are.

First off, was the buddy box switched off? It does not need to be on... in fact, I don't think it even needs a crystal, battery or antenna!

The settings on the buddy box must mimic the settings on the master. That is, the master cannot use dual rates, expo, elevon/flaperon mixing etc... it must be set up to behave as a "dumb" four channel transmitter.

That's about all I can tell you, I've used a "stripped down" VG400 as a buddy with another VG400 and an RD6000 with no problems.

You might want to give airtronics a call/email directly and ask them or even post a question on the airtronics users group on Yahoo.... you'll probably need to know what XMTR you were trying to use a master though.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-30-2004, 06:54 AM
heli.novice@gmail.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

To answer the questions posed:

The switch was off, there is no battery or crystal in it, but there was an antenna. At least that answeres one question for me . . . we weren't sure if it worked like a JR requiring a battery. It sounds like it works pretty much like the lower end futaba boxes. I will keep looking around, but additional info would be welcome.
Old 07-30-2004, 01:49 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, I got hold of the cord I used. 5 pins in a semi-circle on either end(not sure how they are numbered, so I'll attempt to describe...).

When holding the plug end on so the pins are around the bottom half of the circle, I found the first 3 pins are straight through (moving L to R around the bottom of the circle) and the last 2 are crossed. Does this match your cord? If not, I'd say your cord may not be the right one.

I can't help you too much more than that I'm afraid!
Old 07-31-2004, 11:49 PM
heli.novice@gmail.com

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks and yes that matches my cord . . . I guess that is not the problem. Thanks for trying.