Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Synthesize or not to synthesize

Old 04-04-2005, 07:06 PM
BARCC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthesize or not to synthesize

HI, i am gonna buy a Futaba 9CAPS pretty soon, and i was wondering for $100 more, if I should get the 9CAPS with the TX and Synthesized RX, is it worth it? Will having synthesize create more problems, like the pots moving during flight? Besides, at out field Im the only 1 who uses Channel 32, so its not too much of a problem, So Thanks!!
Old 04-04-2005, 07:33 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Synthesize or not to synthesize

basic economics 101. you have 46 channels on 72 mhz. If your tx and rx use crystals you are looking at $20.00 a channel. If your tx uses a module that could be about $50.00 per channel not including the rx crystal. So my advice is to plan for the future. Spend the extra $100 up front and you are done. Plus even though you may be the only one out there. I have experienced interference on the freg. I wanted to fly on. Only to be grounded because I could not move to a clean freq.
If funds are limited then try to mooch a scanner and check your flying every day for a week or two to see if there is any predictable interference. Then opt for a freq. away from those.
As far as the performance level of the Synthesized units. I have heard no gripes from the guys I fly with that use them.
But be warned have a synthesized rx and a fixed tx ( or the other way around) ain't going to do you no good.
Old 04-04-2005, 07:58 PM
BARCC
Banned

yes, i know, becasue 53 and 54 are banned at our field, but i use 32, and nobody else flys on that
Old 04-04-2005, 08:28 PM
kamakasi

all I'm saying is that I too went through the same thought process. I errored on the side of $ and now 3 years later and some more fliers added not to metion a slight increase in local interference, I find myself kicking my back side and having way too many crystals laying around. So my advise is to pop the $100 and hope the FCC does not change the rules. Even one day or plane saved will pay for itself.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:56 AM
hypersoniq

I picked up a 9caps (72Mhz/Ch. 15)... I will add a synth setup later, if needed. the Tx module is $100 extra, but the synth Rx is $180. Tower has a package deal
for $260 [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0161p?&I=LZ1222[/link]
Old 04-05-2005, 08:00 AM
rusirius

Here's what I do... I have a 9CH, and used to use the spectra, but now have the futaba synth module... My planes and helis though, all have standard receivers...

A lot of guys at my field like to fly a single frequency... So all their aircraft and transmitters are on a single channel... That works great, long as you don't have someone new join the club that has the same freq.... Then your screwed, cause while they are flying, your grounded, and vice versa....

What I like to do is have EVERY one of my aircraft, be it plane or heli, on a different frequency from all the others... That way, when I'm at the field, if one or more of my channels are being used, I can just fly something else till they're done...

If you don't have that many aircraft, and want to play it on the safe side, then you could get the synth receiver as well... If I were going to do that, I personally would look into the Polk 6ch synth receiver.... I've heard some guys have trouble with it, but a friend of mine in our club uses one and has no problems at all... (I personally can't stand their transmitters, but their receivers seem to work well).... There are two advantages I think they have over the futaba receiver... First, you don't have to get to the receiver to set the channel... You just push a button that you can mount in the side of your plane and turn the transmitter on while your holding it (with the antennas very close). This allows it to sync up to your channel and your ready to fly.... The other advantage is price.. It's only $60, compared to the $180 for the futaba...
Old 04-05-2005, 03:36 PM
hilleyja

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: kamakasi

But be warned have a synthesized rx and a fixed tx ( or the other way around) ain't going to do you no good.
WHAT???

I now have a synthesized 9C TX and several airplanes. Not all of my airplanes are on the same frequency Plus, it is not that expensive to change out the RX crystal ($7.95 at Servo City). Most of my RXs are Hitec and they are compatible with every channel rather than HI and LO.

I believe I have the OPTIMUM configuration, relative to finances. I could put synthesized RXs in all my airplanes if I could afford to replace my $50.00 RXs for ones that cost upwards and more than $200 apiece.

To answer the original poster's question. Yes, it is cost effective to go with the synthesizer for the 9C ($50 for single freq mod, $89 for synthesizer). With the difference in price of $484 vs $334, I would opt for the fully synthesized version. The synthesized RX costs $179.00 and the synthesized TX module costs $89.00, much more than the $150 difference in price of the two systems. An alternative is to purchase the TX without a module ($249.95) from Servo City and order the synthesizer from Tower. When Servo City gets the synthesizers in stock they'll probably undersell Tower by about $10.00. So, you are looking in the neighborhood of about $320.00 for the Futaba 9CA TX with Synthesizer -- thats my recommendation.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:45 AM
BARCC
Banned

but this is what i want: [link]http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXJDG0&P=ML[/link] it comes with TX synthesizer, and RX is synthesized. Thanks for help!