Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

A dual Rate Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 05:33 AM
bloogyct

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A dual Rate Question

I am relativley new to RC, and recently bought a Funatana - well I set up my radio with Dual rates as per the manual. Yesterday at the Club, I had 2 people telling me 2 different things. 1) The Fun Fly rep, said that my plane was cool as it was, even though he set up the low rate to be about 40% which is a little sensitive for me. 2) A pattern flyer, who told me that setting a low rate to learn is not a good thing, as it stresses the servos, and the feel is different. He said I should set my control links to nearest hole on the servo arm to furthest hole on the horns - then fly low rate at a much higher setting. He says this feels better to learn!! My Question is this - is it different setting it up to fly with less sensitivity on the servo arms and horns, or should I leave it as per the manual - i.e. furthest hold on the servo arm, to nearest hole on the horn, and set the low rates to be very low??????
Old 08-02-2004, 02:54 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: A dual Rate Question

Dial in minimum throws.
Regardless of how you do it, just do it.
3D throws look cool but can/will make you crash if you are not use to them
Old 08-02-2004, 08:35 PM
Phil Cole

From the purist point of view, it's best to choose the holes in your servo and control surface arms so you get the max. control surface deflections that you want when the rates in the radio are set to something close to 100%.

This way the servos will have an easier time since they don't have to push so hard for the same deflection. Since you are using more of the servos' travel they will be more precise (i.e. the control surfaces are more likely to be in exactly the same position when the sticks are set to a particular place).

Once you get used to the plane, and want to throw it around a bit more, you can redo the linkages and set up your dual rates.

The Funtana is designed with the large deflections in mind, so it should withstand the strain provided you use the recommended servos. If you went for less expensive servos because "I won't be doing any 3-D stuff", then maybe you should do as the pattern guy advises to ease the strain on the servos.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:13 AM
bloogyct

Thanks for the replies - I am not using very expensive servos admitedly - JR 577s!! I will adjust the linkages so that they are 'kinder'!!!
Old 08-03-2004, 08:51 AM
smokingcrater

IMHO, my two rules of rates and servos

1: never use dual rates! use expo, lots of it, but dual rates have a tendency to be in the wrong mode at the wrong time
2: [control surface] servos should always be set at 100% (or more) adjust linkages to remove extra throw if you have to, but always have the servo move as much as possible.