RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can I Y-harness rudder/steering servo into Rx?

Old 08-03-2004, 09:56 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can I Y-harness rudder/steering servo into Rx?

I'm finishing up a T28 and it will have 8 servos (flaps, ailerons x2, elevator, rudder, nosegear steering, throttle, switch for air retracts). I have a futaba 127DF 7 channel Rx and obviously I'm one short of getting all my plugs plugged into the Rx. So I could get an 8 channel Rx or....... here is the question. Can I use a Y-harness to connect my rudder and nosegear steering servos and then plug just the one plug into the Rx? I've done this a couple times with dual aileron servos with no problem, but just wanted to be sure about this setup as well. I should also mention that the rudder servo is a futaba 3004, while the steering servo is a hitec micro. Does it matter for the y-harness that they are different brand servos? Thanks.

Also, if I have to get an 8 channel Rx, how do you make use of channel 8 when it is also labelled as being the place where the Rx battery plugs into?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:03 AM
jacs

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Can I Y-harness rudder/steering servo into Rx?

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

I'm finishing up a T28 and it will have 8 servos (flaps, ailerons x2, elevator, rudder, nosegear steering, throttle, switch for air retracts). I have a futaba 127DF 7 channel Rx and obviously I'm one short of getting all my plugs plugged into the Rx. So I could get an 8 channel Rx or....... here is the question. Can I use a Y-harness to connect my rudder and nosegear steering servos and then plug just the one plug into the Rx? I've done this a couple times with dual aileron servos with no problem, but just wanted to be sure about this setup as well. I should also mention that the rudder servo is a futaba 3004, while the steering servo is a hitec micro. Does it matter for the y-harness that they are different brand servos? Thanks.
Try and see if it works, but I personally wouldn't use a micro servo on the steering wheel.

Also, if I have to get an 8 channel Rx, how do you make use of channel 8 when it is also labelled as being the place where the Rx battery plugs into?
Why can't you use an y-harness?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:54 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes you can use a 'Y' for the rudder and steering servos, done it many times.

I also agree with Jacs the mircro servo for steering on the nosewheel of a heavy airplane like that is going to result in stripped gears on a regular basis.

To utilize the eighth channel on that rx you use a 'Y' harness in that batt/servo port with one leg going to the batt and the other going to the respective servo. Actually the 'Y' with the battery can be plugged into any of the ports.

John
Old 08-04-2004, 08:30 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I also agree with Jacs the mircro servo for steering on the nosewheel of a heavy airplane like that is going to result in stripped gears on a regular basis.
Well, I thought of this for awhile and I thought the micro servo would be ok because my nose gear steering is a retractable gear with cable steering on either side of the tiller. So, if there was any shock to the nose gear from say a rough landing, it shouldn't be dissipated down the small cables to the servo, unless the wheel got twisted to the left or right. I could understand the micro servo being a poor choice if I was using a nylon steering arm, which connected to the servo via a 4/40 rod. But, I'm still learning so any more ideas are appreciated.
Old 08-04-2004, 09:53 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Makes no differance what connects the nose steering to the servo could be pull/pull cable, 4-40 rod or schedule 40 waterpipe. That servo with its its microscopic little gears is a waste of your money in that application on that airplane. You'd be better off using the standard on the nosewheel and the micro on the rudder. The rudder servo with that airplane is not gonna come even close to the loads that nosewheel servo is. The only place on that airplane that a micro is appropriate is the throttle.

John